Maryland 61, SC State 46

Alex Len had 13 points to lead a balanced scoring attack by

Maryland in a 61-46 breather over South Carolina State on


Maryland (8-1) won its eighth straight game since a

season-opening loss to defending national champion Kentucky. The

last time the Terrapins won eight games in a row was the 2006-2007

season, when they opened with eight straight wins.

Though Len was the only Maryland player scoring in double

figures, plenty of his teammates contributed in their second

straight win over a Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference team. It was

also the second straight game that all 14 Terrapins played, with 10


Shaquille Cleare added eight points and eight rebounds for

Maryland, Dez Wells chipped in eight points and Seth Allen had five


The Terrapins had 16 assists on 19 baskets Saturday for a total

of 154 assists on 225 baskets during their eight-game winning

streak. They also were 18 of 22 from the free throw line and

outrebounded the Bulldogs 39-30.

Len, who was 5 for 8 from the floor, also had six rebounds.

Maryland outscored South Carolina State 28-6 in the paint and 17-0

on second-chance points.

Louie Adams led South Carolina State (4-5) with 15 points,

scoring 12 in the second half. Khalif Toombs added 12 points, all

on 3-point baskets.

Maryland shot 37.3 percent for the game (19 of 51). The Bulldogs

shot 32.1 percent (17 of 53), but made just 3 of their first 20

shots and went more than eight minutes in the first half without a

basket, falling behind 21-8.

South Carolina State trailed just 11-7 with 13:38 to play in the

first half before hitting a cold stretch during which the Bulldogs

were outscored 10-1.

Toombs hit back-to-back 3-pointers to close the margin to 21-14

and force Maryland into a timeout. Following the timeout, the

Terrapins ran off a 10-0 stretch with Logan Aronhalt and Seth Allen

starting the run with 3-pointers for a 27-14 lead.

Maryland scored twice again before the Bulldogs snapped their

four-minute scoreless streak with a basket and two free throws over

the final minute of the half to close to 31-18 at halftime.