Iowa State shocks No. 5 Kansas State

Diante Garrett scored five points in overtime and Iowa State

stunned No. 5 Kansas State 85-82 on Saturday, snapping a 21-game

losing streak to ranked teams.

The Cyclones (15-16, 4-12 Big 12) hadn’t won in Manhattan

since 2001 and were 7-104 in their last 111 games against ranked

teams on the road before coming in Saturday as 15-point underdogs.

Kansas State (24-6, 11-5), the No. 2 seed in next week’s Big

12 tournament, shot a miserable 34 percent for the game but still

managed to forge a 74-all tie and send the game into overtime when

Denis Clemente hit his second 3-pointer in 12 attempts with a

little more than a minute left.

Craig Brackins had 19 points before fouling out for Iowa

State, which had lost seven of nine. Scott Christopherson had 18

points and Marquis Gilstrap 13.

Christopherson iced the win with a pair of foul shots with

3.2 seconds to go in one of the Big 12’s biggest upsets this


The Wildcats, who won at Iowa State on Feb. 6, needed one

victory to tie their best regular-season record ever. They entered

the week hoping for a conference title and No. 1 seed in the NCAA

tournament, but lost consecutive games to Kansas and Iowa State.

Jacob Pullen had 19 points for Kansas State and Clemente

added 17 on 5-of-18 shooting.

The Wildcats, who hadn’t led since the score was in the

mid-20s early in the first half, struggled all night with poor

shooting and finished just 23 for 67. From the 3-point line, they

were 3 for 23.

After Gilstrap’s foul shot put Iowa State on top 83-79 in

overtime, Pullen was fouled on a 3-point attempt and sank all three

shots, making it 83-82. Christopherson’s two foul shots clinched it

for the Cyclones, who danced and hugged as Pullen’s desperation

3-pointer missed from midcourt at the buzzer.

Garrett’s bucket a few seconds into overtime gave Iowa State

a lead it never gave up. Christopherson also had an overtime bucket

and Kansas State trailed 78-75 with 2:01 to go.

Clemente had one of his one-handed runners go in, making it

78-77 at the 1:27 mark of overtime.

Dominique Sutton got free for an uncontested layup, pulling

Kansas State to 80-79. With 35.9 seconds to play, Garrett was

fouled. He made the first but missed the second.

In the final minutes of regulation, Curtis Kelly hit a

10-footer that sliced Iowa State’s lead to 71-68, then Gilstrap

sank two free throws and the big underdogs from Iowa State had a

five-point lead with 3:19 to play.

Pullen drove in for a runner, drew a foul and made the free

throws to pull Kansas State to 73-71.

A traveling call on Brackins gave the ball back to Kansas

State, and Jamar Samuels was fouled by Brackins, sending Iowa

State’s top scorer to the bench with five fouls. But Samuels missed

both free throws. The game went into overtime when Pullen missed a

3-pointer with a second to go.

Justin Hamilton and LaRon Dendy each had 10 points for Iowa