Haye demands fights with Klitschko brothers

David Haye is after the Klitschko brothers again.

Maybe this time he’ll follow through when they offer to fight

him.

The 30-year-old Haye retained his WBA heavyweight belt on

Saturday with an easy third-round victory over fellow Briton Audley

Harrison in Manchester. He then challenged the Klitschko brothers

to make him an offer he can’t refuse, before he plans to retire

next year.

”I said I was going to whoop them and I will do that,” Haye

said of Vitali and Wladimir Klitschko, who have the remaining

heavyweight titles. ”Next year it has to happen.

”There are no other fights in the heavyweight division that

people could even be remotely excited about other than me and

them,” Haye said. ”I’m retiring next year, so they have got to

pull their socks up. They have got a deadline and a deadline is a

deadline.”

That deadline is to fight him by October 2011.

After pulling away from offers to fight the Klitschko brothers,

Haye settled for what proved to be an embarrassing matchup against

Harrison, his former sparring partner.

Harrison put in a pitiful display at the MEN Arena, throwing

only one punch before being knocked down by Haye midway through the

third round. The former Olympic heavyweight champion got back to

his feet after an eight count but the bout was stopped by referee

Luis Pabon with 67 seconds left in the round.

It was Haye’s 23rd knockout in 26 fights, and the Klitschkos

appear to offer the only worthwhile option in an otherwise weak

heavyweight division.

Wladimir, who defends his IBF/WBO belts against Britain’s Derek

Chisora in Germany next month, is likely to be Haye’s next opponent

if the latter gets his way. Vitali, who holds the WBC belt, could

then follow.

”I know I can beat (Wladimir), while he, I’m sure, believes he

can beat me. He’ll have an easy night (against Chisora) but he

can’t beat me, he’s not quick enough to beat me,” Haye said.

”Once I’ve knocked him out, everything said before will be

academic and I’ll be undisputed champion,” he added. ”I won’t

have to bow to their demands. I don’t need to.”

Harrison, whose record now stands at 27-5, was ridiculed by the

crowd as he left the ring after the fight, having been booed

throughout the first two rounds for failing to throw a punch.

England’s sixth-ranked heavyweight said he has not decided

whether he will retire.

”I’ll lick my wounds and walk with my head proud because my

story from start to finish has been a successful journey of

overcoming adversity and I’ll continue to keep overcoming

adversity,” Harrison said.

”People will obviously find glee and happiness to ridicule me –

let them live their own lives, don’t worry about me, I’m OK. Next

for me is some reflection, I’ve had a long 12-week training camp

and after coming back from where I was last year, I really felt it

was my moment.”