Tarver’s heavyweight debut a success
Former 175-pound champion Antonio Tarver outpointed Nagy
Aguilera to win his heavyweight debut Friday night.
The 1996 Olympic bronze medalist had been working as an analyst
for Showtime before returning to the ring almost a year and a half
after his last fight, a loss to the younger and faster Chad
Tarver started slow, then started picking up momentum in the
latter rounds. Neither fighter scored a knockdown but each landed
Judges Duane Ford, Gary Ritter and David Sutherland scored the
fight 98-92 in favor of Tarver (28-6).
”With a 17 month layoff and since I am 41 years old, I would
give myself an A-plus,” Tarver said. ”I had a real guy fighting
me – a live guy. He wasn’t going to lay down. He took some
tremendous shots. Anybody with any less heart would have been
knocked out. I take my hat off to Nagy … he came to win.”
Aguilera dropped to 16-5 with his second straight loss.
”It wasn’t his fight tonight,” Tarver said. ”I think my
experience really paid off. We are still here. People doubted me
and people think I picked the wrong guy. But he was the right guy
for me. If I couldn’t beat Nagy, I didn’t deserve to look at any
type of challengers.”
In the co-feature, Shawn Porter of Akron, Ohio, won the NABF
welterweight championship by stopping Hector Munoz of Albuquerque,
N.M. Porter (17-0) dominated from the start, and Munoz’s corner
finally threw in the towel at 2:05 of the ninth round.
”This was just the 17th (fight) for me, so I am still learning
about the fight game,” Porter said. ”This was definitely a big
improvement from my last fight (a 10-round victory over Ray
Robinson in July).