Phoenix FC comes up short in loss to Pittsburgh

PITTSBURGH — The Phoenix FC Wolves nearly fought back to a earn a draw but ended up giving the Pittsburgh Riverhounds their first win of the season and first victory at Highmark Stadium in a 2-1 decision Thursday night.

Jose Angulo scored a pair of goals for Pittsburgh. The goals gave Angulo, who scored the first goal in Highmark Stadium history, three goals in two games at the Riverhounds’ new home.
Phoenix’s Diego Faria had the first opportunity, forcing a good low save from Hunter Gilstrap off a free kick from just outside the penalty area. The Wolves then hit the post in the eighth minute, with Thomas Ramos almost taking advantage of a defensive error by the Riverhounds.
The Wolves continued to have the better of the game, but the Riverhounds were able to take the lead in the 22nd minute as a pass upfield found Jose Angulo in space, and he was able to lift his finish over advancing goalkeeper Andrew Weber and into the net. Phoenix almost hit back immediately, with Faria flicking a header that went off the top of the crossbar.
Phoenix got close again early in the second half, a well-flighted free kick finding Cyprian Hedrick unmarked at the far post, only for the center back to send his finish over the crossbar. Pittsburgh also came close early from a pair of set pieces, with Weber making a good save from a free kick and Mike Seth heading just wide from the ensuing corner.
The Riverhounds were able to double their lead six minutes into the second half when Michael Seamon stole possession in the Wolves’ half and took off down the left before sending a far-post cross that was met by Angulo’s header, the finish tucking just inside the right post.
Phoenix tried to rally, and Gilstrap had to make a pair of saves to deny Faria and Travis Bowen, who was denied as he followed up on the rebound from Faria’s shot in the 67th minute.

Aaron King was able to find the net in second-half stoppage time, tapping home a knockdown by Donny Toia from a corner, but the Riverhounds held on for the victory.

Phoenix’s Travis Bowen was sent off just before the final whistle.