Lone Star QBs making their mark in NFL
It has been a big year in Texas high school quarterback lore.
When the NFL season began in September, the state of Texas had more natives per capita under center across the league than any other comparably sized region. The top two picks in the draft, Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III, were both former Texas high school quarterbacks. Another former Texas high school quarterback, Johnny Manziel, is the frontrunner for the Heisman Trophy. Three of the top four passers by yardage in the NFL — Matthew Stafford, Drew Brees and Luck — played high school ball in Texas, and guess who two of the the frontrunners for NFL rookie of the year are: Yep, Griffin and Luck.
The NFL has gotten even more Texan in recent weeks, as Nick Foles of Austin has taken over as the starting quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles. There also are indications in New York that Greg McElroy of Dallas might start for the Jets.
That would make for at least nine former Texas high school quarterbacks starting at that position in the NFL this week, easily the most of any state. Texans, including the Cardinals’ Kevin Kolb and John Skelton, have accounted for 24 percent of the touchdown passes thrown in the NFL this year and 26 percent of the passing yards.
As well as this season has gone for these players individually, don’t expect to see many of them in the playoffs. The Bengals’ Andy Dalton and the Colts’ Luck are the only Texans with winning records this year. Even Brees, a former MVP, and Stafford, the NFL’s yardage leader, look like they’ll miss the postseason.
The 10 Texas high schoolers who have started NFL games at QB this season are a combined 45-52.
• Andy Dalton (Katy), Cincinnati Bengals
• Andrew Luck (Houston), Indianapolis Colts
• Ryan Tannehill (Big Spring), Miami Dolphins
• Matthew Stafford (Dallas), Detroit Lions
• Christian Ponder (Grapevine), Minnesota Vikings
• Drew Brees (Austin), New Orleans Saints
• Nick Foles (Austin), Philadelphia Eagles
• Robert Griffin III (Copperas Cove), Washington Redskins
• Kevin Kolb (Victoria), Arizona Cardinals
• John Skelton (El Paso), Arizona Cardinals