Sparks promote Kobe's father to coach
LOS ANGELES (AP)
The Los Angeles Sparks have dismissed Jennifer Gillom as coach and replaced her with Joe ''Jellybean'' Bryant, the father of Lakers superstar Kobe Bryant who previously coached the WNBA team.
NEVER A DULL MOMENTNot when it comes to the Los Angeles Lakers. Get the latest offseason buzz:
- Kobe: Playing in Italy 'very possible'
- Kobe church altercation under review
- Gasol leads Spain past Poland
- Will Kobe play overseas next season?
- Lakers' Shaw accepts job with Pacers
- Whitlock: Brown's job to stop LeBron
- Witz: Jackson will be missed
- Witz: Ready for Bynum era?
- Coverage from exit interviews:
- Whitlock: Another LA implosion
General Manager Penny Toler announced the move Sunday night, saying it was necessary to take the team in a different direction.
Bryant previously coached the Sparks from August 2005 through the 2006 season, guiding them to two playoff appearances. He was hired in March as an assistant to Gillom. Sandy Brondello remains as an assistant.
Toler says it was difficult to dismiss Gillom, who lost several players to injuries during her tenure, including Sparks star Candace Parker. She is currently out six weeks with a knee injury.
The Sparks are 0-5 on their current seven-game road trip and 4-6 overall.