Practice Time: 11:00 a.m. (Total: 1 hour, 12 minutes)
Movin’ On Up: Kicker Mason Crosby
If Mason Crosby begins the regular season as the Green Bay Packers’ kicker, he can probably look back at Tuesday’s practice as what won him the job. Crosby was a perfect 14-for-14, making seven kicks into the wind and seven kicks with the wind at his back.
Combined with Sunday’s practice, Crosby made 24 of 25 field-goal attempts in the final week of training camp.
Coach Mike McCarthy wouldn’t say whether Crosby officially earned the role, but it’s looking that way heading into the preseason finale.
“I thought Mason hit the ball very well this week,” McCarthy said. “As you look forward, that’s what he’s done in the early part of his career. I’ve been very impressed with Mason in his last two kicking opportunities, lining up with a three-way competition on Sunday and then today. So, he’s had a very good week.”
Throughout all of training camp, Crosby connected on 67 of his 81 field-goal attempts (82.7 percent).
So You Had A Bad Day: Kicker Zach Ramirez
Some bad days are worse than others. The performance of Zach Ramirez was so bad that he didn’t even get through the day with still being part of the roster.
Ramirez made only 6 of 16 field-goal attempts. That’s 37.5 percent.
On Sunday, Ramirez impressed the Packers so much in a tryout that they signed him. After Ramirez tied Crosby that day (both going 10-for-11), Green Bay released Giorgio Tavecchio. Now, with Ramirez and Tavecchio cut in consecutive days, Crosby is the only kicker left standing.
Noted: – This was the final training camp practice of the season.
– With temperatures in the 90s and the heat index rising, McCarthy cut practice short with one period to go.
– B.J. Coleman successfully led the two-minute drill with the second-string offensive line and against the No. 2 defensive unit. Coleman completed passes to Myles White, Brandon Bostick and Tyrone Walker before concluding the drive with a touchdown pass to Bostick. This was perhaps Coleman’s best period in all of training camp.
– Vince Young ran the offense with the starters during the ‘Move the Ball’ practice period. The best play was a tight pass across the middle to Williams, who made a good outstretched-hands catch.
– In that ‘Move the Ball’ period, Don Barclay took the first snap at right tackle and Marshall Newhouse took the second. Then, on the third play, Barclay came back in at right tackle and Newhouse replaced David Bakhtiari at left tackle.
– Eddie Lacy was the first running back on the field, followed by Alex Green.
– Green was the first player back for kick return and will likely get at least one attempt in Thursday’s game. McCarthy praised Green after practice, saying, “I really felt a heightened productivity from Alex on special teams this year. I think he’s a legitimate kickoff returner. On punt protection, he’s a very useful player, outside obviously of playing running back.”
– Bostick was once again in Williams’ former spot on the kickoff return unit.
– For the second consecutive practice, Aaron Rodgers only played on the scout-team offense. This would indicate that, unless McCarthy unexpectedly changes his mind in the Wednesday morning staff meeting, Rodgers will not play in the preseason finale Thursday at Kansas City.
– The three songs played during the team’s water break: Beyonce (feat. Jay-Z), “Crazy In Love” – Florida Georgia Line (feat. Nelly), “Cruise” – Pearl Jam, “Even Flow”
Sidelined: * S Morgan Burnett (Hamstring — Consecutive Missed Practices: 3) * CB Casey Hayward (Hamstring — Consecutive Missed Practices: 3; previously missed 15 practices with injury to same hamstring) * LB Brad Jones (Hamstring — Consecutive Missed Practices: 3) * CB Jarrett Bush (Ankle — Consecutive Missed Practices: 3; and one game) * CB James Nixon (Knee / Ankle — Consecutive Missed Practices: 6) * OL Bryan Bulaga (Torn ACL — Placed on injured reserve) * RB DuJuan Harris (Knee — Placed on injured reserve) * OL Derek Sherrod (Leg — Placed on Physically Unable to Perform list) * S Sean Richardson (Neck — Placed on PUP list) * OL J.C. Tretter (Ankle — Placed on PUP list) * DL Jerel Worthy (Knee — Placed on PUP list) * WR Kevin Dorsey (Toe — Waived/Injured later in the day) * LB Jarvis Reed (Ankle — Waived/Injured later in the day)
He’s Back: * LB Dezman Moses (Toe — Returned after leaving Monday’s practice early)
What’s Next: * Thursday, August 29 – 7:00 p.m. (Preseason Game No. 4 — at Kansas City Chiefs) * Saturday, August 31 – 5:00 p.m. (Deadline for final roster cuts down to 53 players)