Packers training camp report: Aug. 25
Aug 25, 2014 at 7:26p ET
Monday, August 25, 2014
11:45 a.m. (Total: 2 hours, 2 minutes)
Movin' On Up:
When the Green Bay Packers drafted Carl Bradford in the fourth round earlier this year, many thought he would immediately be used at inside linebacker. The Packers had other plans, though, choosing to use him as a pass-rusher at outside linebacker. Well, after a month of Bradford making very few plays on the outside, linebackers coach Winston Moss approached the former Arizona State star Monday morning and told him that they wanted to give inside linebacker a shot.
In Bradford's first experience at inside linebacker, he played quite well. It was arguably his best practice yet, making the case that this should have been his position all along. Bradford looked good in the team's half-line running drill, forcing his way into the backfield and picking up a tackle for loss.
"I liked it," Bradford said. "I like coming downhill and opposing those tackles and guards and smashing those running backs."
Bradford appears to be on the bubble to make the Packers' 53-man roster, but he'll get a chance to play inside linebacker in Green Bay's preseason finale. If he flashes in that game, Bradford could perhaps see himself making a permanent switch to inside linebacker.
So You Had A Bad Day:
Myles White seems to be on the wrong side of the bubble as roster cutdowns approach. Jeff Janis has emerged and Kevin Dorsey is a key special teams player, making White potentially as low as No. 7 on the wide receiver depth chart. That wouldn't be good enough to make the team.
White didn't do himself any favors Monday by dropping two passes. However, later in practice, White had two catches in the corner end zone (one of which was ruled a catch but seemed like he didn't get both feet down).
Mason Crosby was off Monday, too. The wind made field-goal attempts difficult, but Crosby missed from distances of 38, 42 and 46 yards. He ended his session well by connecting from 48, 53 and 55 yards, but that still only put Crosby's day at 5-of-8 (62.5 percent).
- With the knee injury to starting center JC Tretter, rookie Corey Linsley spent his second day assuming the role of next man up. Josh Sitton and Garth Gerhart also had opportunities, but the majority of snaps went to Linsley.
- It sure looks as if Aaron Rodgers won't play Thursday in the Packers' preseason finale against Kansas City. Despite Linsley and Rodgers not playing together in a game yet, the former MVP quarterback worked with the scout-team offense Monday.
- DuJuan Harris has likely secured the kick return job. He was followed Monday by Jeff Janis and Kevin Dorsey. Janis dropped one of the kicks sent his way, which earned him a "Catch the ball!" from special teams coordinator Shawn Slocum over the speakers.
- Matt Flynn was the first quarterback in during the move the ball period and was working with the second-string offensive line. That was, from left to right: Derek Sherrod, Lane Taylor, Linsley, Garth Gerhart, Aaron Adams.
* OL JC Tretter (Knee -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 2)
* LB Brad Jones (Quadriceps -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 2)
* OL Andrew Tiller (Calf -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 2)
* CB Demetri Goodson (Concussion -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 2)
* TE Brandon Bostick (Lower leg -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 5, plus one game)
* RB Rajion Neal (Knee -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 8, plus two games)
* LB Joe Thomas (Knee -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 8, plus two games)
* NT B.J. Raji (Torn biceps -- Will miss 2014 season)
* WR Jared Abbrederis (Torn ACL -- Will miss 2014 season)
* OL Don Barclay (Torn ACL -- Will miss 2014 season)
* TE Colt Lyerla (Knee -- Waived / Injured; will be placed on injured reserve)
* DL Letroy Guion (Hamstring -- Returned after missing 17 practices)
* Wednesday, August 27 - Training Camp Practice No. 19 (10:30 a.m.)
* Thursday, August 28 - Preseason Game No. 3; Kansas City Chiefs at Green Bay (6:00 p.m.)
Follow Paul Imig on Twitter