Vince Young opened eyes with his impressive performance during Wednesday's drills.
By PAUL IMIGFS Wisconsin
Wednesday, August 14, 2013
11:15 a.m. (Total: 2 hours, 30 minutes)
Movin' On Up:
QB Vince Young
This spot could have gone to several players in a practice that was filled with standout performances. Wide receiver
James Jones was great in the no-huddle period, defensive lineman Mike Daniels dominated the one-on-one pass rush drills, running back
Eddie Lacy won every snap in pass protection, cornerback
Micah Hyde had a circus-like interception in the end zone and
Mike Neal had what coach Mike McCarthy described as "his best practice of training camp."
But, now in just his sixth practice with the team, Vince Young has really started to get comfortable in the Packers' offense and has gotten rid of a lot of the rust that he came in with.
During an individual drill in which the quarterbacks faked a handoff and rolled out to throw a pass into the target netting, Young was on top of his game. Rolling to his left and throwing across his body, Young went 3 for 3 in the drill, successfully landing each of his passes into the small netted opening. He was by far the most accurate quarterback in that drill, even better than
In team drills, Young was throwing downfield with much more frequency than he had been. He connected with Myles White down the seam and later hit Matthew Mulligan for a touchdown.
"Vince Young is clearly different today than he was this time last week," McCarthy said. "He's progressing. We've been able to spend some extra time with him. It's been beneficial."
Coming off a poor performance in the preseason opener, Davon House concluded Wednesday's practice in a similar fashion. With the Packers' starting offense on the field in a no-huddle team period, quarterback Aaron Rodgers completed three consecutive passes to James Jones, who was being guarded by House.
The first two Rodgers-to-Jones completions weren't much, getting 6 yards and then 8 yards. The final one, however, was a 22-yard touchdown pass after Jones smoked House down the sideline.
Tramon Williams and
Casey Hayward injured, House has had every chance to establish himself near the top of the depth chart. Now he's fallen behind rookie Micah Hyde, so it could be difficult for him to recover once Williams and Hayward are medically cleared, unless House can make an impact in an upcoming preseason game.
Randall Cobb out, Jeremy Ross was the first to return kickoffs.
- In the 'Team Run' period, DuJuan Harris got the first snap, Lacy got the second and Johnathan Franklin got the third.
- In one-on-one pass-rushing drills, Barclay won 2 of 4 snaps, beating Mike Neal and Donte Savage, losing to Savage and Nate Palmer. Newhouse won 2 of 3 snaps, losing to Nick Perry but later holding off Perry and Dezman Moses.
- Jermichael Finley has been so good in training camp that his dropped pass from Rodgers on a 25-yard ball down the middle was memorable. Aside from that drop, Finley was good the rest of the day, including back-to-back catches from Rodgers in the no-huddle period.
- The four songs played during the team's water breaks: Black Eyed Peas, "Let's Get It Started" - Foster the People, "Helena Beat" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, "Can't Hold Us" - Jason Aldean, "Only Way I Know"
* RB James Starks (Illness -- First missed practice)
* WR Randall Cobb (Right biceps -- First missed practice this week)
Datone Jones (Ankle -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 3)
* OL Andrew Datko (Concussion -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 4; and one game)
* TE Andrew Quarless (Quad -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 8; and one game)
* CB Tramon Williams - (Knee -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 11; and one game)
* WR Charles Johnson (Left Leg -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 12; and one game)
* CB Casey Hayward (Hamstring -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 14; and one game)
* OL Derek Sherrod (Leg -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 14; and one game)
* S Sean Richardson (Neck -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 14; and one game)
* WR Jordy Nelson (Knee surgery -- Out the remainder of training camp)
*OL Bryan Bulaga (Torn ACL -- Likely to miss the entire season)
* OL J.C. Tretter (Ankle -- Likely out until midseason)
* DL Jerel Worthy (Knee -- Likely out until midseason)
* WR Sederrick Cunningham (Wrist Surgery -- Placed on injured reserve Tuesday)
* DL Ryan Pickett (Personal -- Returned after missing one practice)
* OL T.J. Lang (Back -- Returned after missing two practices)
* TE Ryan Taylor (Knee -- Returned after missing five practices and one game)
* Thursday, August 15 - 11:00 a.m. (Training Camp Practice No. 15)
* Saturday, August 17 - 7:00 p.m. (at. St. Louis Rams - Preseason Game No. 2)