Packers Training Camp Report: Aug. 12
AUG 12, 2013 7:06p ET
Monday, August 12, 2013
11:20 a.m. (Total: 1 hour, 37 minutes)
Movin' On Up:
K Giorgio Tavecchio
The Packers held an extensive field-goal competition in Monday's practice and Tavecchio was once again the better kicker in his ongoing battle with Mason Crosby.
The special teams unit lined up for a total of 16 field-goal attempts and Tavecchio was a perfect 8 for 8, while Crosby missed from 46 yards out and finished 7 of 8.
The distances were 36 yards, 42 yards, 46 yards and 53 yards. Tavecchio made every one of those kicks twice.
"I feel pretty good," Tavecchio said. "It's a warm day today, so the balls were flying. Felt like myself, Brett (Goode) and Tim (Masthay) were in a good rhythm with snap, hold and kick. I've got to watch the film to really see, dissect everything, because right now I feel good, but I always take a good look at the film and try to be unbiased about it, and take the lessons; the good, the bad, and if there's any ugly, take that too, and keep moving forward."
So You Had A Bad Day:
K Mason Crosby
Even on a day when Crosby kicked the ball well, he still finished second. Crosby has yet to perform better than Tavecchio in a setting with meaningful kicks. Every practice session in which Green Bay had a field-goal competition, Tavecchio has either outperformed Crosby or the two have tied. During the intrasquad scrimmage at Lambeau Field, Crosby especially struggled, making only 3 of 8 attempts when Tavecchio hit 5 of 6 tries.
If the Packers have any field-goal opportunities in their preseason game this weekend at St. Louis, it will be interesting to see how Crosby and Tavecchio fare -- and which of them gets the first attempt. Because right now, it seems like Tavecchio could potentially take the kicking job away from Crosby.
- This practice was treated like a regular-season practice. No fans were allowed to be in attendance and reporters were not allowed to post any updates until practice was over.
- Players were not in pads. This was the fourth time in 12 training camp practices that the Packers were in shorts and helmets. Therefore, there wasn't any hitting.
- With starting right guard T.J. Lang held out of practice, Don Barclay moved into his spot. That meant Marshall Newhouse remained as the starting right tackle, at least for now. With Barclay playing better than Newhouse in the preseason opener, it seemed possible for that competition to switch its starter. Barclay is trained at multiple positions, though, so he took over Lang's role. When Lang is back, Barclay could overtake Newhouse as the starting right tackle.
- The Packers' second-string offensive line combination had Newhouse at left tackle, Barclay at right tackle and Greg Van Roten entering at right guard.
- Rookie Micah Hyde got some snaps as a starting outside cornerback. Hyde played well against the Arizona Cardinals and Davon House struggled, so coach Mike McCarthy rewarded Hyde with the additional reps.
- Undrafted rookie wide receiver Tyrone Walker was also rewarded for his positive contributions in the preseason game against Arizona. Walker played alongside Aaron Rodgers and the starters in Monday's practice and caught several passes, continuing to show that he is a dependable player.
- DuJuan Harris passed his physical and practiced for the first time in training camp. However, he did not take any snaps in team drills. With Eddie Lacy out, James Starks was the first running back on the field with the starters.
- The two songs played during the team's water breaks: Notorious B.I.G., "Big Poppa" - 2Pac, "California Love"
* DL Datone Jones (Ankle -- First missed practice after leaving Friday's game early)
* OL T.J. Lang (Back -- Missed Thursday's practice, played in Friday's game, out again)
* OL Andrew Datko (Concussion -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 2; and one game)
* RB Eddie Lacy (Hamstring -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 3; and one game)
* TE Ryan Taylor (Knee -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 4; and one game)
* TE Andrew Quarless (Quad -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 6; and one game)
* CB Tramon Williams - (Knee -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 9; and one game)
* WR Charles Johnson (Left Leg -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 10; and one game)
* WR Kevin Dorsey (Leg -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 10; and one game)
* CB Casey Hayward (Hamstring -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 12; and one game)
* OL Derek Sherrod (Leg -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 12; and one game)
* S Sean Richardson (Neck -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 12; and one game)
* WR Jordy Nelson (Knee surgery -- Out the remainder of training camp)
*OL Bryan Bulaga (Torn ACL -- Likely to miss the entire season)
* OL J.C. Tretter (Ankle -- Likely out until midseason)
* DL Jerel Worthy (Knee -- Likely out until midseason)
* WR Sederrick Cunningham (Wrist Surgery -- Placed on injured reserve Tuesday)
* RB DuJuan Harris (Knee -- Returned after missing first 11 practices and one game)
* WR Randall Cobb (Bicep -- Returned after missing the preseason opener)
* DL / OLB Mike Neal (Abdomen -- Returned after missing the preseason opener)
* Tuesday, August 13 - 11:15 a.m. (Training Camp Practice No. 13)
* Wednesday, August 14 - 11:15 a.m. (Training Camp Practice No. 14)
Follow Paul Imig on Twitter
+ SHOW COMMENTS +