GREEN BAY, Wis. — Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers will not play in the 2013 Pro Bowl.
One year after Rodgers publicly criticized the effort from certain players in the Pro Bowl, he has withdrawn himself from the game, citing injuries.
“I’m not going,” Rodgers said on his weekly radio show. “I don’t know if this is hot off the wire, but I didn’t pass my physical. I didn’t want to get into too much of the details but there’s multiple lower extremity injuries. I did get banged up in the game and I did get put up on the injury board various times during the season.
“I would say my ankle has definitely been a problem. During the season I was on the injury report at least once with that. But yeah, I’m not going. I’m sorry to the Green Bay fans that are going to be out in Honolulu.”
Rodgers was on the injury report in Weeks 7, 8 and 9 with a calf injury and in Week 16 with an ankle injury. Coach Mike McCarthy also announced Tuesday that Rodgers was going to meet with team Dr. Pat McKenzie.
The Packers’ coaching staff will coach the NFC in the Pro Bowl without Rodgers.
Unlike last year, when Rodgers said that “some of the guys on the NFC side embarrassed themselves” and questioned whether the game itself should even exist, he did not criticize the Pro Bowl. At least not yet.
“NFL does a good job putting the trip together, and I won’t say anything about the game,” Rodgers said. “I might actually tune in, just to see how it compares.”