Mike D'Antoni: Steve Nash done for the season
MAR 13, 2014 2:25p ET
OKLAHOMA CITY -- The look on Coach Mike D'Antoni's face said it all while Steve Nash took part in an individual workout Thursday morning.
"He's not going to play," D'Antoni said glumly. "It doesn't make any sense for him to come back for 15 games, whatever."
Nash is done for this season, one day after the Lakers officially terminated the chances of Kobe Bryant coming back before their April 16 regular-season finale, and one day after a Sporting News report that Bryant has 'no interest' in playing for D'Antoni next season.
Despite the report, D'Antoni insists he isn't wasting time worrying about his job security.
The Lakers (22-42) have 18 games remaining, including Thursday at Oklahoma City.
Nash averaged 7.6 points and 4.7 assists in 10 games this season. He was bothered throughout by persistent nerve damage in his back, his lone highlight a 19-point, five-assist game against Philadelphia last month on his 40th birthday.
The key question now is what the Lakers will do with him during the off-season. He has one more season and $9.7 million remaining on his contract.
The Lakers have until Sept. 1 to waive him via the "stretch" provision, spreading out his salary over three seasons.
Or they can bring him back next season and hope for the best, a scenario that makes sense, especially if the Lakers strike out in free agency. They could then absorb the remainder of Nash's contract in one season instead of having one-third of it also affect them in 2015-16 and 2016-17.
Nash was acquired from Phoenix in July 2012 for two first-round draft picks and two second-round draft picks.