Football Hall of Famer Dan Marino sues NFL over concussions
JUN 02, 2014 7:14p ET
Dan Marino, the Hall of Fame member and former Miami Dolphins quarterback, last week sued the NFL over concussions, according to federal court records.
As the behind-the-scenes effort to gain approval for the proposed $765-million settlement of the concussion litigation continues, Marino and 14 other former players sued in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia.
At least 41 members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, or their estates, are among about 5,000 former players suing.
The 18-page complaint alleges the NFL concealed information about football-related brain injuries and misled players, claims that are similar to those made in more than 300 related lawsuits. The NFL has repeatedly denied such claims.
No specific symptoms are alleged for Marino, selected to nine Pro Bowl games when he played from 1983 to 1999. Boilerplate language is used in Marinoâs short-form complaint. One is submitted for each plaintiff.
"On information and belief, the Plaintiff ... sustained repetitive, traumatic sub-concussive and/or concussive head impacts during NFL games and/or practices," the short-form complaint said.
Marino, 52, couldn't immediately be reached for comment.
One of Marino's attorneys, Sol Weiss, is also co-lead counsel for the plaintiffs in the consolidated litigation against the NFL. A federal judge rejected the proposed settlement in January, concerned about whether the settlement amount is sufficient for all affected players.
"We continue to work at the direction of the Court and Special Master as they review the settlement agreement and rightfully ensure that all members of the class are protected," Weiss and Chris Seeger, the other co-lead counsel, said in a statement. "We look forward to finalizing this agreement so that former players can soon begin taking advantage of its benefits."
Marino's lawsuit seeks medical monitoring and unspecified financial recovery.
Times staff writer Sam Farmer contributed to this report.