TIMES"> TIMES">

Doughty faces allegation of sexual assault

Los Angeles County prosecutors are reviewing an allegation by a woman who alleges she was sexually assaulted earlier this year by L.A. Kings player Drew Doughty, a district attorney’s spokeswoman said Tuesday.

Los Angeles County prosecutors are reviewing a woman’s allegation that she was sexually assaulted earlier this year by LA Kings defenseman Drew Doughty, a district attorney’s spokeswoman said Tuesday.

“It’s under review,” said spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons, who declined to detail the allegations, citing the office’s pending decision. “I expect a resolution this week.”

Doughty's attorney, Craig Renetzky, said that although the case was technically under review, he expects it will be rejected this week.

The Hermosa Beach Police Department, which investigated the case, did not return numerous calls for comment Tuesday afternoon.

Doughty was the second overall pick by the Kings in the 2008 draft. The 22-year-old Canadian missed almost all of training camp before signing an eight-year, $56-million deal in September that made him the team's highest-paid player by average annual value.

He had two goals and four assists during the Stanley Cup Final, along with goals against St. Louis and Phoenix en route to the championship series.

— Jack Leonard and Helene Elliott