- Wow, it's being reported that they asked the athletic director to fire Coach Pitino. He refused and then he lost his job. I'd have went to Rick. Hey, Rick, I need you to step down, because I need to keep this million dollar a year job.
It's funny, Skip. This is so ironic. After all the things that he's put this university through, this is the straw that broke the camel's back. He had a brothel going on, on the first floor of the university. That didn't do it.
- He had a personal scandal.
- A personal scandal-- involved with the equipment manager's wife in a restaurant. That didn't do it. This did it. He stood the test of time a lot longer than I thought he would.
I thought he would survive this, because I felt, once he survived that brothel scandal, he was untouchable. He was Teflon. That white suit, I mean, you know, like he's going to Kentucky Derby. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I am, Skip. I really am surprised that they fired him.
- I'm not. Finally and fittingly, he went down in the flames he should have gone down in before. But we're talking about the most, I think, recognizable coach in all of basketball, because he did coach the Knicks and the Celtics, then he won national championships at University of Kentucky and at Louisville. It's a pretty great resume, with seven Final Fours.
But this has been a long-term, outrageous lack of institutional control at this school, and it sounds like now they're going to get the so-called death penalty that I went through with the SMU football back in the late '80s, and I think they're still trying to dig out from under that. And it sounds like he's going to go down in flames and leave that program in ruins. And it was a long-term, great program.
- It was, Skip, but you would have thought, after all the things that he had gone through, he would have learned a lesson. I mean, think about it, Skip. He didn't learn his lesson from the personal scandal or the other scandal.
- How you gonna learn a lesson when you get away with everything?
- Oh, there ain't no lesson to learn, huh? You're like, I should keep doing this, because this is benefiting me. OK, you're right. Lesson learned.