Josh Thomson said Anthony Pettis should be able to fight with a torn PCL in November, calling surgery "pointless". The UFC lightweight champion is now firing back, saying Thomson’s words are pointless.
"He’s gonna talk, whatever," Pettis told FOX Sports. "I don’t even know how he got the title shot to begin with."
Pettis and Thomson were supposed to meet last month at FOX UFC Saturday, but Pettis pulled out due to the PCL tear. ‘Showtime’ said he had a partial tear leading into his fight with Benson Henderson at UFC 164 in August. But when he started training for Thomson, it got worse and became a full tear.
"Initially, they said the injury would heal itself," Pettis said.
I’m not gonna fight injured. I’m 26 years old. I have a long career ahead of me.
He said he doesn’t regret the decision to have surgery at all, especially after hearing about Dominick Cruz withdrawing from next month’s bantamweight title fight against Renan Barao. Cruz has been out more than two years after a pair of ACL surgeries and now he has a torn groin.
"I’m not gonna fight injured," Pettis said. "I’m 26 years old. I have a long career ahead of me."