On Friday, Ellenberger spoke to FOX Sports and confirmed that it
was a hamstring injury that pushed him out of the fight against the
last ever Strikeforce welterweight champion.
“Yeah, it’s been a rough week. It was a hamstring injury, just
one of those things,” Ellenberger told FOX Sports on Friday. “I’ve
never pulled out of a fight before, usually I’m the one taking
fights on short notice, but this was one of those times where I
just had to do it.”
According to his doctors, Ellenberger is expected to be out
approximately six to eight weeks, but he suffered no long-term
damage or tears that could potentially cause surgery.
As Ellenberger noted, he’s never been a fighter known to pull
out of a bout prior to now, but with the injury hampering his
training for at least a few weeks there was no way to push forward
and compete on Jan. 4 in Singapore. Ellenberger was returning to
action after a tough loss to Rory MacDonald earlier this year
— a defeat that broke his two-fight winning streak as he
looked to get back into title contention.
Ellenberger still hopes to land a top 10-level opponent upon his
return, it will just have to wait until a little deeper into 2014
for it to happen.
The plan is for the Nebraska native to rest and rehabilitate the
hamstring for the next few weeks, and as of now Ellenberger says
he’s planning a return to action around the end of February.
FOX Sports will have more information on Ellenberger’s next
fight as it becomes available.