Tennis

Nadal pulls out of Buenos Aires tourney because of illness

Rafael Nadal of Spain celebrates his win over Grigor Dimitrov
Rafael Nadal won't be celebrating in Buenos Aires this year.
Share This Story

   
 

MADRID (AP)

Rafael Nadal will miss next week's ATP tournament in Buenos Aires after a stomach virus set back his return from a back injury sustained at the Australian Open.

The world's top-ranked player says on ''Thursday morning a stomach virus kept me from training, so my entire schedule has been delayed.'' Nadal says the delay, coupled with the tournament starting on Monday, led to his withdrawal.

In Thursday's video message, Nadal did not speculate on whether he will play at the following tournaments in Rio de Janeiro, Indian Wells and Miami.

Nadal had been making steady progress in his recovery from the back injury, which contributed to his loss to Stanislas Wawrinka in the final in Melbourne.

Related Stories

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by



More Than Sports on MSN

Fox Sports Store