Martin Davalos gained a further advantage in the Eastern Regional 250SX Class Championship thanks to a wire-to-wire victory Saturday night at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis, Mo.
Davalos jumped out to an early lead over title rival Justin Bogle and maintained the top spot for all 15 laps, resulting in his second career victory.
“This was a tough race tonight,” said Davalos. “Again, the start was key, and I was able to get the early lead and hold on. I want to enjoy this win and go back and keep working hard.”
Bogle attempted to mount a late-race charge, but a few mistakes cost the GEICO Honda rider a shot at the win. Bogle now trails Davalos by eight points in the Eastern Regional 250SX Class Championship standings.
Blake Baggett easily put on the ride of the night, finishing on the podium after starting 14th. Unfortunately for Baggett, he sits fourth in the title race and faces a 49-point deficit. He will likely pass Adam Cianciarulo – who is out for the season after suffering a shoulder injury – but will be unable to challenge Davalos and Bogle for the championship.
Kyle Cunningham tied his season-best finish in fourth followed by AJ Catanzaro, Cole Thompson and Matt Bisceglia.
The Eastern Regional 250SX Class will take a two-week break before returning to action at the first-ever race at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. on April 26.
Eastern Regional 250SX Class Results: St. Louis
1. Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., Kawasaki
2. Justin Bogle, Cushing, Okla., Honda
3. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki
4. Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Honda
5. AJ Catanzaro, Portland, Conn., Honda
6. Cole Thompson, Brigden, Ontario, KTM
7. Matt Bisceglia, Weatherford, Texas, Honda
8. James Decotis, Peabody, Mass., Honda
9. Alex Martin, Millville, Minn., Yamaha
10. Gannon Audette, Tallahassee, Fla., Kawasaki
Eastern Regional 250SX Class Season Standings
1. Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., Kawasaki, 149
2. Justin Bogle, Cushing, Okla., Honda, 141
3. Adam Cianciarulo, Port Orange, Fla., Kawasaki, 120
4. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., 100
5. Vince Friese, Cape Girardeau, Mo., Honda, 100
6. Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Honda, 94
7. Cole Thompson, Brigden, Ontario, KTM, 89
8. James Decotis, Peabody, Mass., Honda, 65
9. Matthew Lemoine, Pilot Point, Texas, Kawasaki, 74
10. Alex Martin, Millville, Minn., Yamaha, 72