Monster Energy Kawasaki Team Green appears to be the team to beat at Anaheim 3 with their riders claiming the top qualifying spots. Ryan Villopoto set the fastest time in the 450 Class while Dean Wilson was nearly a second quicker than his 250 Class rivals.
Riding the momentum from his dominant win last weekend, Villopoto set a best lap of 1:02.295 in the closing minutes of the third and final practice session. Justin Barcia tried to bump the Champ from the top spot on his final lap, but it was only good enough for second. James Stewart qualified third followed by the Red Bull KTM duo of Ken Roczen and Ryan Dungey.
Eli Tomac, who has yet to start a main event this season due to a shoulder injury suffered at A1, qualified sixth. The GEICO Honda rookie looked to be comfortable during practice and could certainly fight for a podium in his first race back.
Chad Reed enters A3 second in points, only seven behind Villopoto. However, the veteran rider will have his work cut out for him as he qualified ninth, nearly a second off the pace.
In the 250 Class, Wilson is clearly the top dog entering the night cap. With five minutes to go in final practice, he reeled of a lap of 1:01.901 that turned out to be unmatchable. In fact, he was the only rider in both to break into the 1:01 bracket.
Points leader Jason Anderson was the closest qualifier, albeit 0.97 seconds off Wilson’s pace. Justin Hill, who is coming off his first career podium, qualified third followed by Cole Seely and rookie Cooper Webb.
Zach Osborne will miss A3 after crashing hard in the final practice session. According to the team, he injured his right shoulder and collarbone. Osborne started the season with back-to-back podiums, but has since failed to finish better than fifth.
Coverage of Round 5 of the Monster Energy Supercross Championship kicks off tonight at 10 p.m. ET on FOX Sports 1. As always, join the conversation on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook via the #SXonFOX hashtag.
1. Ryan Villopoto – Monster Energy Kawasaki: 1:02.295
2. Justin Barcia – Team Honda Muscle Milk: 1:02.301
3. James Stewart – Yoshimura Suzuki: 1:02.372
4. Ken Roczen – Red Bull KTM: 1:02.503
5. Ryan Dungey – Red Bull KTM: 1:02.560
6. Eli Tomac – GEICO Honda: 1:03.023
7. Jake Weimer – Monster Energy Kawasaki: 1:03.086
8. Broc Tickle – RCH Racing/Soaring Eagle Suzuki: 1:03.111
9. Chad Reed – Discount Tire Racing/TwoTwo Motorsports: 1:03.137
10. Andrew Short – BTO Sports KTM: 1:03.564
1. Dean Wilson – Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki: 1:01.901
2. Jason Anderson – Rockstar Energy Racing: 1:02.871
3. Justin Hill – Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki: 1:03.038
4. Cole Seely – Troy Lee Designs/Lucas Oil Honda: 1:03.387
5. Cooper Webb – MyPlash/Metal Mulisha/Star Racing Yamaha: 1:03.524
6. Malcolm Stewart – Troy Lee Designs/MAVTV Honda: 1:03.742
7. Jessy Nelson – Troy Lee Designs/Lucas Oil Honda: 1:03.963
8. Jake Canada – 51Fifty Honda: 1:04.243
9. Zach Osborne – GEICO Honda: 1:04.352
10. Shane McElrath – Troy Lee Designs/MAVTV Honda: 1:04.946