Ken Roczen’s last visit to Anaheim, Calif. ended in triumph with the rookie taking his first career 450SX victory. Fast forward two weeks and it’s Roczen on top once again – this time in qualifying.
The Red Bull KTM rider led both timed practices at Angel Stadium with his quickest lap of 51.232 coming in the second and final session. A pair of Champions – Ryan Villopoto (second) and James Stewart (third) – trailed Roczen by less than one-tenth of a second.
Josh Grant was back in action Saturday and will race tonight after failing to race in Phoenix due to a crash in practice. Grant posted a lap of 54.805 in the first timed session, but chose to sit out the second practice. Unfortunately for GEICO Honda, Eli Tomac will not start A2 as he continues to recover from a shoulder injury suffered at the season opener.
In the 250SX Class, Dean Wilson held the quickest lap as time expired but Jason Anderson managed to steal away the top spot with a sub-52 second lap. Malcolm Stewart, Zach Osborne and Cole Seely rounded out the top five.
Darryn Durham crashed hard in the first timed practice and is out with a concussion.
Coverage of Round 3 of the Monster Energy Supercross Championship kicks off at 10:30p ET (Jan. 18) on FOX Sports 1.
1. Ken Roczen – Red Bull KTM: 51.232
2. Ryan Villopoto – Monster Energy Kawasaki: 51.306
3. James Stewart – Yoshimura Suzuki: 51.310
4. Justin Brayton – Toyota/Yamaha/N-Fab/JGRMX: 51.950
5. Chad Reed – Discount Tire Racing/TwoTwo Motorsports: 52.278
6. Ryan Dungey – Red Bull KTM: 52.285
7. Justin Barcia – Team Honda Muscle Milk: 52.318
8. Broc Tickle – RCH Racing/Soaring Eagle Casino Suzuki: 52.405
9. Wil Hahn – GEICO Honda: 52.461
10. Andrew Short – BTO Sports KTM: 52.541
1. Jason Anderson – Rockstar Energy Racing: 51.852
2. Dean Wilson – Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki: 52.014
3. Malcolm Stewart – Troy Lee Designs/MAVTV Honda: 52.510
4. Zach Osborne – GEICO Honda: 52.726
5. Cole Seely – Troy Lee Designs/Lucas Oil Honda: 52.798
6. Justin Hill – Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki: 53.292
7. Cooper Webb – MyPlash/Metal Mulisha/Star Racing Yamaha: 53.312
8. Jessy Nelson – Troy Lee Designs/Lucas Oil Honda: 53.957
9. Shane McElrath – Troy Lee Designs/MAVTV Honda: 54.100
10. Michael Leib – AG Motorsports Honda: 54.112