Aleix and Pol Espargaro will be racing in MotoGP in 2014, but they will not be the first brothers to line up on the same premier-class grid.
There are a number of milestones with respect to brothers racing together in the premier class – which the Espargaros can measure themselves against:
- The last time that two brothers competed together in a MotoGP race was at the USGP in 2010 at Laguna Seca, with Nicky Hayden on the factory Ducati and Roger Lee Hayden riding as a replacement for Randy de Puniet on the LCR Honda. Both riders scored points: Nicky finishing 5th and Roger Lee 11th.
- The last time that brothers were on the full-time entry list for the MotoGP class was in 2004, when Kenny Roberts was riding the Suzuki and Kurtis Roberts was on the Proton KR.
- In addition to the Roberts brothers in 2004, other sets of brothers have competed together full-time in the premier-class in the same season; Nobuatsu and Takuma Aoki in 1997, Nobuatsu and Haruchika Aoki in 1999, Bernard and Marc Garcia (1994 & 95), Dominique and Christian Sarron (1989).
- The last time that brothers finished together on the podium in the premier-class was at the Imola Grand Prix in 1997, when Nobuatsu Aoki finished second and Takuma Aoki finished third.
- The only other occasion that brothers have finished together on the podium in the premier-class was at the Argentine GP of 1962, when Juan Salatino finished second and Eduardo was third.
For the 2014 season MotoGP offers a completely updated application to enhance your experience of the World Championship, with a new interface, improved functionality including a completely new Live Timing feature, extended content and additional languages.
CLICK HERE to learn more about the LIVE EXPERIENCE APP
Furthermore, the MotoGP Live Experience application is also the only official app which provides Live Audio Commentary, Live Timing and Live 3D Tracking of each practice, qualifying session and race of the 2014 MotoGP World Championship – all available in real-time via your mobile or tablet device.
Get all the latest news and photos directly from the paddock, plus exclusive videos – which include highlights from every session of every Grand Prix and all the winter tests.Aleix Espargaro, MotoGP, Pol Espargaro