The first step if you’ve never watched the Isle of Man TT before is to watch 10 seconds of the video above.
Due to the Isle of Man being just that … an island … off the coast of Great Britain, the weather is not always the most predictable or pleasant which always throws another giant hurdle for the race organizers to contend with.
That being said, it comes as little surprise that some of the sessions over the past couple of weeks have been postponed, yet all have been eventually rescheduled and the show has gone on.
The Isle of Man TT is an annual event that takes place for two weeks from the end of May to the beginning of June. The 37.73-mile Snaefell Mountain Circuit virtually goes around the perimeter of the island, taking place on public streets where spectators can watch from the grassy banks or even at their favorite bar on the side of the road.
Click HERE to view a recent Reddit post that shows just how the Mountain Course daunts every other renown racetrack, past or present, on Earth.
- Michael Dunlop: The 25-year-old nephew of the great Joey Dunlop has accumulated 11 wins on the TT course over the years, but never in the Senior TT class. He changed that on Friday with his first Senior TT win.
- Gary Johnson: This 29-year-old Englishman has shown promising signs of progress over the past few years in the TT, but a broken collarbone in Tuesday’s Superstock race sidelined him for the rest of the 2014 events.
- John McGuinness: This 42-year-old has been competing in the Isle of Man TT since 1996, and has six Senior TT victories.
- More rider interviews are available on the Isle of Man’s YouTube channel.
2014 Race Results:
Saturday, May 31:
- Superbike TT Race: winner: Michael Dunlop
- Sidecar Race 1: winners: Conrad Harrison/Mike Aylott*
*Video: Riders okay after sidecar crash in race 1:
Monday, June 2:
- Supersport Race 1: winner: Gary Johnson**
**Gary Johnson crashed in Tuesday’s Superstock TT Race, likely sidelining him for the rest of the week. Veteran rider Bob Price was killed in a fatal accident on the third lap.
Tuesday, June 3:
- Superstock TT Race: winner: Michael Dunlop***
***34-year-old newcomer Karl “Bomber” Harris was killed in a crash on the second lap of the race
— Carl Fogarty (@carlfogarty) June 3, 2014
Wednesday, June 4:
- TT Zero Challenge: winner: John McGuinness
- Supersport Race 2: winner: Michael Dunlop
Thursday, June 5:
- Sidecar Race 2: winners: Dave Molyneux/Patrick Farrance
Friday, June 6:
- 10:15 hrs Lightweight TT Race: Dean Harrison
- 13:00 hrs Senior TT Race: Michael Dunlop
And, in case you have 18 minutes to spare, here’s a lap of the full Snaefell Mountain Circuit, on board Michael Dunlop during the 2013 Supersport Race 2 race:Bikes, Isle of Man