Paul di Resta attends the drivers press conference for the Korean F1 GP at Korea International Circuit on Oct 3, 2013. (Photo: Getty Images)

is out of Formula One — at least for now. (Photo: Getty Images)

Paul Di Resta is returning to DTM with this year, having been dropped by Force India at the end of last year.

The new deal opens up the possibility of him working with the Mercedes F1 team, his recent experience making him an obvious candidate for simulator running or even testing. Di Resta says that his potential involvement will be discussed soon.

“Hopefully, I can be part of the Mercedes-Benz GP team,” he said. “I’ve yet to see what that is. We’ll have a meeting, I think, with Toto [Wolff] and senior members, but, more importantly, certainly at this point I want to focus on my racing and getting myself up to speed in this championship I’m going to be taking part in.

“Over the next few weeks we can start to look at how much time I have, what I can maybe give to Mercedes, and what they can give to me, and we can do a combination. Everybody’s happy and they’re all on the same thinking path, and that’s why the deal was so good and why we could agree to such good terms. And, hopefully, I’ll have a successful year.”

Di Resta, who won the DTM title for Mercedes in 2010, had his first run in a current car on Tuesday.

Tags: , ,