Tropical Storm Karen changes Saints' travel plans
OCT 03, 2013 7:09p ET
"We're able to handle this pretty smoothly," coach Sean Payton said. "The plan is to leave tomorrow in the p.m. just to be smart and not get caught in what really more sounds like a wind issue potentially on Saturday. So we'll leave in the p.m. tomorrow."
Meanwhile, the Saints will find some soggy weather awaiting them in Chicago, although likely nothing like fans back in New Orleans will be experiencing.
Payton, anticipating rain and wet conditions at Soldier Field Sunday, took his team outside for the beginning of Thursday's practice, just so players could adjust their footing to a grass surface instead of indoor turf. It's not a perfect simulation, but it's the closest the Saints can get until arriving in Chicago.
"I think the shoe-type for this surface is different than the grass that we play on here," Payton said. "That being said, add the chance of rain (and) we've got to be prepared to handle the elements."
Equipment managers may be busy folks Sunday, changing cleats and preparing for sloppy conditions.
+ SHOW COMMENTS +