HOUSTON — Matt Schaub said it wouldn’t have been a distraction to play in a free-agent season, but the Houston Texans re-signed him, anyway.
The 31-year-old Texans quarterback re-upped for a four-year, $62 million contract extension through 2016. The deal includes $24.75 million in guaranteed money.
“At no point was it ever going to be a distraction for me, (but) I’m excited for it to be done and over with so that every ounce of focus and energy can be directed to this season and what we have going and not being out there as something down the road,” Schaub said. “I’m very excited to continue to make Houston our home. My wife and are raising our kids here, so we’re very excited to continue to be a part of this community.”
The Texans now have Schaub, receiver Andre Johnson, running back Arian Foster and left tackle Duane Brown signed though at least 2016.
Houston’s biggest priority contract now becomes that of outside linebacker Connor Barwin, whose breakout season came last year when he led the team with 11.5 sacks. He is in the final year of a deal that pays him $565,000 per season and will likely command a significant raise on the free-agent market.
The Texans’ policy is not to negotiate contracts during the season.
“We weren’t able to get an extension done with Connor Barwin,” general manager Rick Smith said Sunday. “That doesn’t mean he isn’t a big part of our team moving forward. He is. We get the opportunity at the end of the year to sit back and talk.”