Stoops still hasn’t made decision on starting QB

NORMAN, Okla. – Despite a number of TV reports saying Trevor Knight would be named the starting quarterback at Oklahoma, coach Bob Stoops did not announce a decision Wednesday evening.


Stoops went on ESPN last week and said he hoped to have a decision made by the end of the week. 


News9.com in Oklahoma reported that Knight, a redshirt freshman, had surprisingly beaten out junior Blake Bell and an announcement was expected Tuesday or Wednesday.


But Stoops refused to answer any questions Wednesday about his timetable for making a choice between Knight and Bell.

Bell has been effective the past two seasons, rushing for 24 touchdowns and primarily playing in running situations. Knight spent last season working with the scout team at Oklahoma.

With no announcement being made, it’s conceivable Stoops could wait until the opener against Louisiana-Monroe on Aug. 31 to make the decision. Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy said he will not pick a starter until his team plays Mississippi State on Aug. 31.


It’s also possible Stoops doesn’t want to make a decision too soon. A year ago, Bell was named the second-team quarterback behind Landry Jones in August. That announcement likely had a lot to do with quarterback Drew Allen deciding to transfer. Allen will be at Syracuse this season.

The Sooners also have Kendal Thompson, a sophomore, who fractured his foot on the first day of August practice, as an option at quarterback. He will be out about another month.


Follow Andrew Gilman on Twitter: andrewgilmanOK