Manziel's Kyle Field career has been filled with big games
Johnny Manziel's Kyle Field career will end at 14 highlight-filled games. Will Saturday be his last?
By ANTHONY ANDROFS Southwest
Saturday's Texas A&M game against Mississippi State will mark the end of an era for Kyle Field, as the stadium is set to undergo a major renovation immediately after the Aggies' final home game of the season.
It could also mark the end of the Johnny Manziel era at Texas A&M as the reigning Heisman Trophy winner could opt to forgo his final two years of college for the NFL.
If that is the case, Manziel's Kyle Field career will end at 14 highlight-filled games. Here's a look at the first 13 in order of Manziel's performances.
1. Alabama 49, Texas A&M 42, Sept. 14, 2013: The Aggies didn't beat the top-ranked Crimson Tide but it didn't have anything to do with Manziel's play. All he did was throw for 464 yards and five touchdowns. He also led the Aggies with 98 rushing yards and his 562 yards were the second most in SEC history. He connected with Mike Evans on a 95-yard scoring play and also threw an ill-advised jump ball that Edward Pope came down with after Manziel scrambled out of what would have been a long sack. He did have two interceptions, including one that was returned for a touchdown. But without his play, the Aggies wouldn't have had a chance.
Final numbers: 28 of 39 passing for 464 yards, 5 touchdowns; 14 rushes for 98 yards
2. Texas A&M 58, Arkansas 10, Sept. 29, 2012: In Texas A&M's second SEC game, Manziel shattered what was then the school record with 453 passing yards and a touchdown against the former Southwest Conference rival of the Aggies. Manziel also ran for 104 yards to set what was then the SEC total offense record at 557. The signature play for Manziel in the game was a six-yard TD run in the fourth quarter when Manziel literally ran circles around the Arkansas defense.
Final numbers: 29 of 38 passing for 453 yards, 3 touchdowns; 14 rushes for 104 yards, 1 touchdown
3. Texas A&M 59, Missouri 29, Nov. 24, 2012: The Aggies led 21-0 after one quarter and Manziel had nothing to do with any of the scoring plays. He made up for that in a hurry despite a scare in the first quarter that forced him briefly out of the game. He returned with a brace on his left knee and then threw three touchdown passes in the second quarter alone. He accounted for five scores on the day. When he left the game in the fourth quarter, he did so with a 'Gig 'Em' signal to the Kyle Field crowd.
Final numbers: 32 of 44passing for 372 yards, 3 touchdowns; 12 rushes for 67 yards, two touchdowns
4. Texas A&M 57, UTEP 7, Nov. 2, 2013: Manziel was frustrated early as the Texas A&M offense struggled to get going against the one-win Miners. Maybe it's an indication of how good Manziel is that by the time he left the game after two offensive possessions in the second quarter, the Aggies were up 50-7. Manziel accounted for six touchdowns in the game, throwing for four and running for two. The signature play was a 49-yard run on the first Aggie possession in the second half.
Final numbers: 16 of 24 passing for 273 yards, 3 touchdowns; 7 rushes for 67 yards, 2 touchdowns
5. Auburn 45, Texas A&M 41, Oct. 19, 2013: No one could question Manziel's toughness after the upset loss to the Tigers. Manziel left the game in the second half with a right shoulder injury but returned and led the Aggies on a scoring drive despite showing obvious signs of pain. While a late drive to win the game came up short, Manziel once again cracked the 400 yard passing mark, finding Mike Evans for 287 of those yards and four touchdowns.
Final numbers: 28 of 38 passing for 454 yards, 4 touchdowns; 18 rushes for 48 yards, 1 touchdown
6. Texas A&M 56, Vanderbilt 24, Oct. 26, 2013: The big question was Manziel would respond to the bum shoulder from the Auburn game a week before. Head coach Kevin Sumlin said Manziel was "hopeful" to play during the week. Unfortunately for the Commodores, Manziel did play and Vandy had no hope. Manziel played a little more than three quarters and threw for more than 300 yards and four touchdowns. He did have just 11 yards rushing, his lowest output at home.
Final numbers: 25 of 35 passing for 305 yards, 4 touchdowns; 4 rushes for 11 yards
7. Texas A&M 65, Sam Houston State 28, Sept. 7, 2013: Manziel bounced back from his subpar performance in his half of paly against Rice and accounted for four scores and threw for more than 400 yards as the Aggies prepped for their game against No. 1 Alabama.
Final numbers: 29 of 42 passing for 426 yards, 3 touchdowns; 7 rushes for 36 yards, 1 touchdown
8. Texas A&M 42, SMU 13, Sept. 21, 2013: Once again Manziel's final numbers were hurt because of a lack of playing time because of the lopsided score. He still managed to account for more than 350 yards of offense in a little more than a half of play and three touchdowns. He played just one possession of the second half.
Final numbers: 14 of 21 passing for 244 yards, 1 touchdown; 12 rushes for 102 yards, 2 touchdowns
9. Texas A&M 47, Sam Houston State 28, Nov. 17, 2012: Manziel set the freshman quarterback rushing record against the Bearkats but played just a little over the half. While Manziel shined in his time, accounting for five touchdowns, he did miss out on a chance to add some style points. With the Aggies up 34-0, Manziel found Uzoma Nwachukwu on an 89-yard scoring play. Head coach Kevin Sumlin let Manziel try the extra point. He missed it to the right.
Final numbers: 14 of 20 passing for 267 yards, three touchdowns; 16 rushes for 100 yards, two touchdowns
10. Florida 20, Texas A&M 17, Sept. 8, 2012: His first college game gave Aggie fans a glimpse of what was to come. He scored his first collegiate touchdown in the second quarter on an 11-yard run. That would be the only touchdown Manziel accounted for but he did put a scare into the Gators with his dual-threat ability.
Final numbers: 23 of 30 passing for 173 yards; 17 rushes for 60 yards, 1 touchdown
11. Texas A&M 70, South Carolina State 14, Sept. 22, 2012: Manziel's numbers in this game suffered because of the competition in a game that was played with a running clock in the fourth quarter. Still he was outstanding, accounting for five touchdowns in his one half of play.
Final numbers: 15 of 20 passing for 174 yards, 3 touchdowns; 8 rushes for 78 yards, two touchdowns
12. LSU 24, Texas A&M 19, Oct. 20, 2012: This marked the only game in his Kyle Field career than Manziel was unable to find the end zone either through the air or on the ground. Manziel was intercepted three times and was sacked three times by the Tigers. While he did pass for 276 yards, he threw the ball 56 times. LSU also kept in him check on the ground, as Manziel was limited to 27 yards on 17 carries.
Final numbers: 29 of 56 passing for 276 yards; 17 rushes for 27 yards
13. Texas A&M 52, Rice 31, Aug. 31, 2013: Manziel was limited to less than a half of play in the suspension game. Manziel was supposed to play the entire second half but a penalty for taunting led head coach Kevin Sumlin to pull Manziel in the fourth quarter. Still, in a little more than 20 minutes of play, Manziel did throw three touchdown passes.
Final numbers: 6 of 8 passing for 94 yards, 3 TDs. 6 rushes for 19 yards