GRAPEVINE, Texas – Felix Jones’ time with the Dallas Cowboys came to an end on Tuesday when the 2008 first-round draft pick signed a one-year deal with the Philadelphia Eagles.
Jones’ best season came in 2010 when he rushed for 800 yards, caught 48 passes for 450 yards and scored twice. But he was disappointing the last two seasons, combining for 977 rushing yards and four touchdowns.
The 26-year-old looked much slower last season and seemed to lack the elite athleticism he once possessed. Jones also started the 2012 season off on the wrong foot, failing the team’s conditioning test at the start of training camp.
But Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said on Wednesday that he thinks the former Arkansas standout still has the ability to contribute in the NFL.
“The guy played for us in a significant role,” Stephen Jones said. “I still say that’s very successful. I’d also say running backs, this day and time, a guy can be very successful in his first contract as a running back and not necessarily sign the second one. The shelf life of a running back, unfortunately is not as long as some other positions. We were very pleased with the career Felix had here with us. You always hate when it comes to a close. No regrets there.”
It seemed evident that the Cowboys would not re-sign Felix Jones after they drafted Oklahoma State running back Joseph Randle last month in the fifth round.
Felix Jones, who started 23 games in Dallas, will get a chance to face his old team at least twice next year, with the first matchup coming on Oct. 20 in Philadelphia.
“You know what we think of Felix, being a Razorback,” said Stephen Jones, an Arkansas graduate. “He made a lot of great plays for us. Obviously, we wish him luck, except when the Cowboys and Eagles play.”