Fantasy: Waiver-wire pitcher for May 15
MAY 15, 2013 12:57p ET
Here's my free-agent choice (citing most 12-team leagues) for one day of fantasy stardom:
Jason Marquis (@ Orioles)
1. For the season, Marquis has respectable tallies of four wins, a 3.48 ERA and 1.25 WHIP.
2. Of his seven outings, Marquis has surrendered three or less runs six times.
3. From 2004-09, Marquis posted six consecutive seasons of double-digit victories. At age 34, he could certainly reach that threshold in 2013.
The Next Five For Wednesday
1. Mike Leake (Reds) @ Marlins — It always helps when a decent pitcher, who's fighting for a spot in a contender's rotation, draws a golden start against the worst team in baseball — from a runs perspective (Miami).
2. Dan Straily (Athletics) vs. Rangers — Here's hoping for six-plus innings of seven strikeouts and three runs allowed against Texas. That's doable.
3. Wade Davis (Royals) @ Angels — The Kansas City right-hander has been brutal of late, allowing 16 runs in his last three outings. But remains a viable, one-time option for seven or eight strikeouts — against a free-swinging team.
4. Ramon Ortiz (Blue Jays) vs. Giants — This quasi-endorsement of a 40-year-old journeyman should sufficiently detail the weak crop of Wednesday pitchers. Ouch.
5. Ryan Vogelsong (Giants) @ Blue Jays — The Giants veteran has allowed three or more in all seven starts this season. Not good. Perhaps he'll turn things around in a new country.
Jay Clemons can be reached on Twitter, day or night, at @FOX_JayClemons.
+ SHOW COMMENTS +