Fantasy Fox: Emergency waiver-wire pitcher for May 13
MAY 13, 2014 3:14p ET
Mixed-league roto owners, are you looking for a waiver-wire pitcher before Tuesday's full slate of games?
Here's my free-agent choice (citing most 12-team leagues) for one day of relatively fantasy stardom:
1. Of his six appearances to date, Smyly (2-2, 2.96 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 23/9 K-BB rate) has allowed two or less runs four times.
2. Within that span, Smyly hasn't yielded more than three walks in any outing this year.
3. The Orioles, Smyly's Tuesday opponent, rank just 22nd overall in seasonal runs, with an average of 4.1 per game.
4. For what it's worth, Smyly has never surrendered a run to the Orioles (three career appearances).
The Next Five For Tuesday
1. Drew Pomeranz (Athletics) vs. White Sox -- Oakland's latest plug-and-play starter stymied the Mariners on May 7 (first start), allowing zero runs and two hits over five strong innings.
2. Franklin Morales (Rockies) @ Royals -- The southpaw is fighting for a spot in the Colorado rotation, so much that Tuesday's outing against the Royals could be a make-or-break venture through the All-Star break.
3. Ryan Vogelsong (Giants) vs. Braves -- The veteran right-hander has yielded zero or one run in four of his last five starts, including a strong showing against the Braves on May 3.
4. Ricky Nolasco (Twins) vs. Red Sox -- We're taking a leap of faith on the typically streaky Nolasco. In his last start, he fanned nine Indians over just six innings.
5. Vidal Nuno (Yankees) vs. Mets -- Given the litany of injuries and suspensions to CC Sabathia, Ivan Nova and Michael Pineda, the Yankees are down to two established starters (Hiroki Kuroda, Masahiro Tanaka).
Nuno needs to come through against the Mets, one of the least productive offenses with homers and hits.
Jay Clemons can be reached, day or night, on Twitter at @FOX_JayClemons.