Roundup: Scores of coaches quitting following World Cup eliminations

As the field of 16 continues to populate with each passing day in Brazil, the head-coaching positions of those who fail to qualify seem to open just as quickly.

And Wednesday was no different.

Shortly after Iran fell 3-1 to Bosnia-Herzegovina and was eliminated from the World Cup, coach Carlos Queiroz said he is quitting, citing a failure to come to financial terms with the country on an extension. Though the 61-year-old Portuguese manager phrased it in a little harsher tone:

"I showed my commitment and credibility, but I did not see any commitment to extend the contract," Queiroz told the media in Salvador. "’I fell in love with Iran, but you can’t have a marriage in which only one side wants to marry."

The former goalkeeper had been in charge of the Iranian national team since 2011.

For more on Queiroz’s departure, click here.

MORE SUAREZ - BITEGATE SCANDAL

Honduras had one of the most disappointing showings at the World Cup, going pointless in the group stage with three losses and a minus-7 goal differential. Heading into the final day of the group stage on Thursday, that is the second-worst mark in the tournament, just one goal better than the minus-8 posted by Cameroon.

Naturally, Honduras coach Luis Fernando Suarez announced after Wednesday’s 3-0 loss to Switzerland that he is quitting the team.

Suarez said his contract with the nation was up after the World Cup, and decided not to return.

He told the media in Manaus after the loss, "it’s not a resignation. It’s not an issue with the contract. . . . I unilaterally take the decision of not continuing."

Japan came into the World Cup with high aspirations. It left with one draw, two losses, one point and a fourth-place finish in Group C after Tuesday’s 4-1 loss to Colombia.

After the match in Itu, Japan coach Alberto Zaccheroni said he would wait until he returned to Japan to consider his future with the team. But a day later, he announced he, too, is quitting from his position.

"I really wanted to take us forward and qualify for the second round and I am so disappointed," the Italian Zaccheroni was quoted as telling the Japanese media. "But I picked the team, decided on the tactics and how we play and I want to take full responsibility.

"I told the players and staff that I was happy and proud to be their coach. Over the last four years I have put my heart and soul into helping this team grow."

He added he felt the Japanese team had the speed and skill to compete at a high international level, but its players needed be more physical.

For more on Zaccheroni’s departure, click here.

For Italy, Tuesday’s loss stung three times as much. First, there was the 1-0 loss to Uruguay which eliminated the Italians — viewed by many as a contender for the Cup. Then there was Luis Suarez’s bite felt ’round the world. And then, coach Cesare Prandelli said he was resigning.

The controversial final game also included a red card for midfielder Claudio Marchisio in the second half. Prandelli criticized the red card decision at the same post-match news conference in Natal where he announced his resignation. Minutes later, Italian Football Federation president Giancarlo Abete, sitting next to Prandelli, announced he was also resigning.

Abete said the federation would hold a meeting on Italy’s return to discuss Prandelli’s decision to quit, saying he hoped the coach would withdraw his resignation.

Abete said his own decision to leave was "irrevocable."

— The Associated Press contributed to this report