William witnesses Seasiders win

Varney set up a thrilling Premier League contest with a stunning
volley after just three minutes at Bloomfield Road and Harewood
added a second just before the interval. Kevin Doyle set up a tense
finish after Nenad Milijas hit the post for Wolves in a fine
second-half response but the hosts held on. Prince William, taking
time out from his wedding preparations, was among the 15,922 crowd
with a number of his friends. He may have enjoyed the game more
than the Wolves supporters who, despite their side’s spirited
showing after the break, booed their team off the field. The result
leaves them entrenched in the bottom three after a run of nine
defeats in 11 games. Blackpool had gone into the game with the
worst home record in the league but they looked sprightly from the
onset against the team with the worst away form. Wolves were also
looking to keep a clean sheet for the first time this season but
their plans were in tatters almost as soon as the game had started.
Blackpool were buoyed by the presence of inspirational captain
Charlie Adam after an injury scare but their stunning opener had
nothing to do with the Scot’s creativity. Varney, wide on the left,
chested a long Ian Evatt ball past Kevin Foley and watched it
bounce before unleashing an inch-perfect 25-yard shot which looped
over Marcus Hahnemann and dipped under the crossbar. The visitors
tried to respond but George Elokobi’s shot was blocked. Harewood
tested Hahnemann with a 30-yard shot but the American saved
comfortably low down. Wolves began to enjoy some possession but
Blackpool got numbers back. Adam headed away a corner from under
his crossbar and goalkeeper Richard Kingson, playing in place of
injured first choice Matt Gilks, was not worried by a header from
Christophe Berra. Doyle also headed wide of the post for Mick
McCarthy’s side. McCarthy was clearly not happy with the
performance of Foley, who had been shifted infield soon after
Varney’s goal with Michael Mancienne moving to right-back. With
less than half an hour gone Foley was taken off by McCarthy and
replaced by Milijas. Hahnemann had a moment of uncertainty when he
spilled a long-range Evatt shot but there was no danger and he
recovered. The incident failed to jolt the keeper into life and
another lapse of concentration allowed Blackpool to double their
lead. Hahnemann came out to claim a David Vaughan corner but missed
the ball and Varney headed down. Harewood was on hand to stab
towards goal and the ball found its way across the line despite the
last-ditch efforts of Matt Jarvis. The visiting fans turned their
frustration on the team and chanted, ‘What a load of rubbish’ at
half-time. As a result, Wolves started the second period in
determined fashion but David Jones sliced a good chance wide.
Blackpool continued to attack themselves and DJ Campbell beat Berra
in the box but failed to find anyone with his cross. The approach
of both sides made for a really open contest and Doyle twice went
close, first dragging a shot across goal and then picking out
Kingson. Milijas went even closer after a powerful run down the
middle, striking a left-foot shot which beat Kingson to his left
but rebounded to safety off the post. Milijas tried his luck again
moments later but blazed over. Blackpool pieced together another
good move with Adam playing Varney through but the on-loan Derby
forward shot narrowly wide. Jarvis pulled the ball back for
substitute Sylvan Ebanks-Blake in the six-yard box but it seemed
Wolves’ luck was out as Vaughan deflected his shot wide. Wolves
continued to press and were finally rewarded five minutes from time
as Doyle headed home at the far post from an Elokobi cross. Jones
went down in the area as Wolves pushed for an equaliser in the
dying moments but referee Mark Clattenburg was unimpressed.
Campbell spotted Hahnemann out of goal in injury time but his
effort from inside his own half stopped short. Wolves had time to
win one last corner but the whistle blew as soon as it was taken.