United beat QPR, Potters win too

A last-minute equaliser from Sebastien Bassong gave Norwich City
a hard fought 1-1 draw at Everton.

David Moyes’ side had looked good for all three points after
Steven Naismith’s goal early in the first half gave them the

But Everton never got going in the second half and it was no
surprise when Bassong headed home in the final minute.

It was a fifth draw in seven games for Moyes’ side but another
encouraging result for Norwich after last week’s defeat of
Manchester United.

Despite being without their leading light Marouane Fellaini, and
the likes of Kevin Mirallas and Phil Neville through injury,
Everton started brightly and took the lead just 12-minutes in.

New boys Thomas Hitzlsperger and Bryan Oviedo combined well down
the left as the Costa Rican broke into the box and squared for
Naismith to side-foot home.

Former Toffee John Ruddy had a busy first half producing a
string of good saves whilst Tim Howard was a virtual spectator at
the other end.

But the second half was a different story as Norwich came out
strong and Howard was suddenly asked to keep his side in the game,
saving well from Anthony Pilkington before Johnny Heitinga had to
clear off the line from Robert Snodgrass.

Everton’s only real threat in the second period came from
England full-back Leighton Baines, who was a constant thorn in
Norwich’s side.

Ruddy produced a fine save to deny Baines a wonderful individual
effort before the left-back then fired over the bar from a
free-kick on the edge of the box.

Everton looked as if they had done enough, but then in the final
minute Norwich were level. Baines gave away a free-kick 35 yards
out and Javier Garrido whipped it towards the back post where
Bassong rose to beat Howard from an acute angle.

Everton remain in fifth with the point, but they miss the chance
to close to within one point of Chelsea in fourth. Norwich remain
without a win on the road, but Chris Hughton can be more than
pleased with his side’s display on Merseyside.

New Rangers boss Redknapp watched from the Old Trafford stands
as the visitors surrendered a second-half lead en route to another

The bottom-of-the-table R’s, under the temporary guidance of
Mark Bowen, took the lead in the 52nd minute when Jamie Mackie
pounced from close range after Anders Lindegaard had pushed out
Kieron Dyer’s cross-shot.

But the London team were swiftly undone by two set-pieces, Jonny
Evans and Darren Fletcher both on target with headers from Wayne
Rooney corners, before Anderson surged forwards and set up Javier
Hernandez for a cool finish to settle matters.

Earlier, Redknapp, 65, was given a two-and-a-half-year contract
by Rangers – just 24 hours on from Mark Hughes’ sacking – but will
not take charge of the team until Tuesday’s game at Sunderland.

Victory took United back to the top of the Premier League
standings ahead of Manchester City’s trip to Chelsea on Sunday.

West Brom earlier moved up to third spot after Simon Mignolet’s
howler in the lunchtime kick-off helped the Baggies beat Sunderland
4-2 at the Stadium of Light.

The Black Cats goalkeeper gifted Shane Long the simplest of
opportunities to fire into an empty net two minutes before the
break when he allowed Chris Brunt’s pass to squirm from his

Steve Clarke’s men were already leading through Zoltan Gera’s
superb strike on the half-hour, and although the home side launched
a fightback when Craig Gardner’s 73rd-minute free-kick was
deflected home, substitute Romelu Lukaku’s late penalty looked to
have sealed a fourth successive win for the first time in the
Premier League.

Stephane Sessegnon reduced the deficit from close range with
three minutes remaining. But, after Lukaku had hit the post deep in
stoppage time, fellow substitute Marc-Antoine Fortune made sure at
the death.

In the other 3pm kick-offs, Jordi Gomez’s hat-trick spared Ali
Al Habsi’s blushes as Wigan overcame Reading 3-2, Everton and
Norwich drew 1-1 and Stoke edged Fulham 1-0.

Sean Morrison’s first goal for the Royals – a fine header into
the top corner from Nicky Shorey’s cross – had earned the visitors
an interval lead at the DW Stadium.

But Gomez equalised 13 minutes into the second period, lashing
high into the net after his initial low effort from substitute
Franco Di Santo’s cross had been parried by Adam Federici, and then
grabbed a second 10 minutes later with a superb diving header from
Jean Beausejour’s cross.

Ten minutes from time, Hal Robson-Kanu’s blocked shot looped
high into the air and Al Habsi – seemingly expecting to be put
under more pressure than he was – fumbled the ball under his
crossbar and looked on helplessly as it trickled over the line.

However, Gomez was not done, and swept home from Arouna Kone’s
pass in stoppage time to complete his treble.

There was also late drama at Goodison Park, where Sebastien
Bassong’s 90th-minute diving header from Javier Garrido’s free-kick
earned the Canaries a point. Steven Naismith had given the Toffees
a 12th-minute lead.

Finally, Charlie Adam’s 26th-minute goal secured Stoke a 1-0 win
against Fulham at the Britannia Stadium, the Scotland midfielder
the beneficiary of the knockdown after Peter Crouch comfortably
beat Philippe Senderos in the air.