Under-fire boss Luiz Scolari gets backing from Brazilian Confederation
JUL 12, 2014 3:55a ET
The president elect of the Brazilian Football Confederation has backed manager Luiz Felipe Scolari to continue in his role.
Scolari's team bowed out of the World Cup in embarrassing fashion on Tuesday, losing 7-1 to Germany in Belo Horizonte and leading to plenty of speculation that he would stand down.
Instead of what could have been celebrations in Rio on Sunday, the Selecao will instead have to watch the game on television after taking on Holland in Saturday's third-place playoff.
But Marco Polo Del Nero, who will take over as CBF chief next year, said: "To me, he stays.
"What happened was a tactical error. That was the problem. But we all make mistakes. It can happen to anyone.
"The important thing is that he did a good job. The campaign and the preparations were good. A base exists."
Scolari, Del Nero and current CBF president Jose Maria Marin will meet following Saturday's match in Brasilia and he has no intention of resigning despite the backlash from the Germany defeat.
"The first phase of my job finishes on Saturday," Scolari said before the clash with Holland.
"After that I will prepare my report and then I will talk with the presidents.
"They will look at what was right and what was wrong in what I did, but I know in the last year and a half we had several good situations.
"We have to be ashamed of the 7-1. It was a catastrophe, but I have to ask the media - is everything bad because of one result?"