Sturridge rescues point for Liverpool at Newcastle

Daniel Sturridge earned a point for Liverpool in a 2-2 draw with
10-man Newcastle in the Premier League on Saturday, maintaining the
England striker’s prolific start to the season.

Newcastle defender Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa was red-carded for hauling
down Luis Suarez in the 40th minute, allowing Steven Gerrard to
convert a penalty for his 100th league goal and make it 1-1.

Substitute Paul Dummett restored the lead for Newcastle against
the run of play in the 57th but Sturridge headed home Suarez’s
cross 15 minutes later, meaning he has scored in seven of
Liverpool’s eight league matches this season.

Yohan Cabaye had put Newcastle ahead with a dipping shot from
long range after 23 minutes.

Liverpool provisionally leads the league by a point from
Arsenal, which plays Norwich later Saturday, but will rue not fully
capitalizing on having an extra man for 50 minutes.

The balance of the game changed on the sending-off of
Yanga-Mbiwa, who was only playing because of an injury to captain
Fabricio Coloccini on international duty with Argentina. The France
international lost Suarez as the Uruguay striker ran in behind the
defense to meet a lofted pass from Sturridge, and was clearly
pulled back just inside the area.

After a long wait while Newcastle players remonstrated, Gerrard
coolly slotted home low to Tim Krul’s right to become the 24th
player to reach triple figures in goals in the Premier League, and
third for Liverpool after Robbie Fowler and Michael Owen.

Up until that point, Newcastle had made arguably its best start
to a match this season, harrying its opponents in possession and
deservedly taking the lead when Cabaye sent a fierce shot from 30
yards past Simon Mignolet’s despairing dive.

Although it was a different story after the break, with
Liverpool dominating territory and the busy Suarez coming more into
the game, Newcastle still managed to go ahead again.

Cabaye floated in a free kick that brushed the top of Kolo
Toure’s head and landed at the feet of Dummett, who had come on at
center back following Yange-Mbiwa’s dismissal. The young local kept
his composure to steer in a volley at the back post.

Sturridge grabbed Liverpool’s second equalizer by heading in
from close range after good play down the left by Suarez, who
grazed the crossbar with a volley soon after.

Liverpool’s best chance in the final 10 minutes fell to
Sturridge, but the England striker misjudged a volley from
Gerrard’s cross.

Newcastle’s battling performance may appease a section of home
fans who showed their dissatisfaction with the regime of owner Mike
Ashley by marching in protest from the city center to St. James’
Park before kickoff.