Spurs win, City and United held

United launched a stunning comeback in the lunchtime kick-off to
rescue a point through Federico Macheda and Nemanja Vidic after
Villa looked set for their first home win over the Red Devils in 15
years. Villa, lacking nine players through injury or illness,
stunned United as Ashley Young and Marc Albrighton put them in
command with only 15 minutes remaining. But United rallied through
Macheda and skipper Vidic to maintain their unbeaten record this
season. Nevertheless, they are still three points behind Premier
League leaders Chelsea who have a game in hand against Sunderland
on Sunday. Tottenham enjoyed their first league win since October
16 when they beat Blackburn 4-2 at White Hart Lane. However, the
loss of two late goals meant they squandered the chance to move
into fifth. Gareth Bale gave Spurs the lead in the 16th minute.
Rafael Van der Vaart swung in a corner which an unmarked Bale
attacked to power in a header at the near post. Referee Andre
Mariner then awarded a questionable penalty to Spurs just after the
half hour when Paul Robinson was adjudged to have brought down
Peter Crouch but Roman Pavlyuchenko put the ball wide. The Russian
then made up for his miss three minutes before half-time when he
headed home. Crouch sent a shot into the roof of the net before
Bale got Spurs’ fourth following close control by Van der Vaart.
Spurs, though, lost their concentration as they allowed David Dunn
and Gael Givet to pull two goals back in the last 10 minutes.
Blackpool manager Ian Holloway ensured he remained in the spotlight
when he named a completely different XI for the clash at West Ham.
The Premier League are investigating Holloway’s decision to make 10
changes for the midweek trip to Aston Villa. West Ham had to make
an early change when Kieron Dyer limped out of the game after less
than 20 minutes. Blackpool had to replace goalkeeper Gilks at the
start of the second half, after he appeared to jar his knee when
clearing a goal-kick, with Richard Kingson coming on for an
unexpected second appearance of the week. Victor Obinna shot over
the bar for the hosts before former Hammers striker Marlon
Harewood’s effort was ruled out for offside. Gary Taylor-Fletcher
missed a great chance for the Seasiders and the game finished
goalless, the Hammers still rooted to the bottom. Manchester City
drew 0-0 at home to Birmingham as manager Roberto Mancini finds
himself increasingly in the spotlight after just one win in five
games. Carlos Tevez thought he had put City ahead late on in the
first half but it was ruled out for handball with the Argentinian
booked. Despite the Blues failing to break the deadlock manager
Roberto Mancini took off Tevez to protests from the City fans and
replaced him with Gareth Barry. Bolton moved into fifth after they
held on for a 3-2 win at Wolves who remain firmly in the relegation
zone. Wolves suffered the worst possible start when Richard
Steadman headed into his own net in the first minute. Johan
Elmander then doubled Bolton’s lead with a little over an hour
gone. The Swede received the ball under the attention of three
defenders but close control saw him wriggle free and he calmly
slotted home. Stuart Holden made it 3-0 when he finished off a
passing move five minutes later. Wolves immediately pulled one back
when Kevin Foley curled the ball home and they reduced the deficit
further through Steven Fletcher’s header. Despite intense pressure
the Molineux side could not find the equaliser. Newcastle drew 0-0
with Fulham while Victor Moses’ 70th-minute goal saw Wigan claim
victory over West Brom.