Sources: Liverpool pull the plug on deal to sign striker Loic Remy

Liverpool have pulled out of a deal to sign striker Loic Remy, Sky sources understand.

Loic Remy spent last season on loan at Newcastle United.

Lindsey Parnaby / AFP/Getty Images

Liverpool have pulled out of a deal to sign QPR striker Loic Remy, Sky sources understand.

The France international flew on Tuesday to the United States, where Brendan Rodgers' side is on a pre-season tour, to seal a move worth £8.5million.

But though terms had been agreed between all parties, the Reds pulled the plug following the 27-year-old's medical.

Remy would have been Rodgers' fifth new summer recruit following the signings of Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana, Emre Can and Lazar Markovic.

He scored 14 goals last season for Newcastle, where he was on loan from Loftus Road.

Speaking to Sky Sports News from Chicago, reporter Kaveh Solhekol said: "Personal terms had been agreed with Loic Remy - and it had also been agreed that he would wear the iconic no. 7 shirt that has been worn by Luis Suarez and Kenny Dalglish.

"We were initially told that minor problems with the paperwork had delayed the deal for five days but it has transpired that a medical problem was highlighted and Liverpool asked for a second opinion.

"Once they got that second opinion, they decided not to proceed with the transfer.

"I understand there is no chance of the deal being resurrected. Liverpool will concentrate on other striker targets."

Rodgers will face the media on Sunday night following his side's friendly against Olympiakos in Chicago.

The Reds are still expected to complete deals for Belgium youngster Divock Origi and Southampton defender Dejan Lovren.

Download the new FOX Sports App to get the latest news and scores from your Soccer team.