Shoot-out joy for Brentford

Brentford beat Swindon on penalties after a thrilling 3-3 draw
at Griffin Park to reach the League One play-off final.

With the aggregate score tied at 4-4 after a pulsating 120
minutes in the semi-final second leg, Simon Moore saved Miles
Storey’s penalty before Adam Forshaw fired in the winning spot-kick
to seal the Bees’ place in the Wembley final against Yeovil Town
later this month.

Adam Rooney’s unfortunate own goal opened the scoring, before
Clayton Donaldson’s neat turn and shot doubled the Bees’ lead.
Rooney made amends moments later, putting the Robins back in it
from close range.

Donaldson extended the home side’s lead, finishing well after
intercepting Gary Roberts’ wayward pass, but goals from Joe Devera
and a late Aden Flint header sent the tie into extra-time.

Brentford were gifted a 24th-minute lead when Harry Forrester
whipped in a corner and Rooney diverted the ball past his own

The Bees sensed they could kill Swindon off in the first half
and recalled striker Trotta thumped a shot against a post, and they
got their second in the 40th minute when Donaldson collected the
ball on the edge of the Swindon area and slotted a low drive past
Wes Foderingham into the corner of the net.

But Swindon were thrown a lifeline before the interval when Tom
Adeyemi and Toumani Diagouraga got themselves into an almighty
muddle on the halfway line. Town broke clear through Gary Roberts,
and when his shot was blocked, Rooney was on hand to tuck in the

However, Roberts suffered brain freeze moments after the restart
when his sloppy pass on the halfway line sent Donaldson racing
towards goal before coolly dinking the ball over Foderingham to
restore Brentford’s two-goal advantage.

Yet Swindon refused to go away quietly and in the 57th minute,
when Brentford failed to clear Raffaele De Vita’s corner, Devera
swept the loose ball high into the net.

Bees substitute Sam Saunders could have wrapped up victory but
his curler clipped the crossbar, and instead, five minutes into
stoppage-time, Flint nodded in Roberts’ corner to stun the hosts
again and take the tie into extra time.

Swindon were reduced to 10 men when Nathan Byrne was shown a
second yellow for deliberate handball and Foderingham twice saved
from Donaldson to take the tie to penalties.

But the Bees kept their nerve in the shoot-out and Forshaw’s
effort sparked a pitch invasion and wild scenes of celebration,
relief and disbelief.