Shiels buoyed by Boyd signing

Stand-in skipper Joe Ledley scored twice as Celtic cruised to a
5-0 win over SPL bottom club Dundee at Celtic Park.

Ledley scored once in each half, while James Forrest and Dylan
McGeouch were also on target and Gary Hooper netted for the first
time in six matches as the hosts extended their lead at the top of
the table to 21 points.

The Dark Blues thought they had taken the lead after just five
minutes when Gary Harkins’ free-kick crept in at the near past but
an alert linesman spotted that John Baird had strayed offside.

Neil Lennon’s side soon reasserted their control and were ahead
through Ledley, who captained the team in the absence of the
injured Scott Brown.

Dundee keeper Rab Douglas could only palm an Emilio Izaguirre
cross into the path of Ledley and he slotted home from eight yards

Gary Irvine then pulled off a crucial block to deny Forrest’s
goalbound effort before Hooper came to the fore.

First he fired over following some neat link-up play with strike
partner Anthony Stokes before Douglas palmed away a stinging
effort, with a subsequent low angled drive fizzing just past the

The visitors briefly rallied, with Fraser Forster doing well to
tip a deflected Harkins shot over the bar.

The same player was then denied soon afterwards, his header
bouncing up off the turf before hitting the crossbar.

That was as good as it got for the Taysiders though as they were
reduced to 10-men early in the second half and conceded from the
penalty spot.

Matt Lockwood, only on the pitch for three minutes after coming
on as a half-time substitute, was dismissed on 48 for bringing down
Hooper right in front of goal and Forrest send Douglas the wrong
way with his spot-kick.

Stokes then scuffed an inviting shot past the post but Dylan
McGeouch killed the game off with a header into the top corner
after the impressive Stokes had clipped the ball into the box

Ledley notched up his second goal of the contest when he curled
left-footed into the top of the net after Stokes had laid the ball
off to him, with Dundee struggling to cope (73).

Celtic continued to press and Hooper ended his mini goal drought
in emphatic fashion seven minutes from time, controlling Ledley’s
ball into the box before volleying home.

Boyd, who scored 164 goals across spells with Killie and Rangers
between 2001 and 2010, re-signed before Saturday’s 1-1 draw with
Aberdeen at Rugby Park in the SPL.

“It was great to get him in and it’s great to have that type of
person back in the squad,” said Shiels. “He will be back in with us
on Monday and we will work from there. It’s self-explanatory what
he will bring to us – he is the top scorer of all time in the SPL

“There’s a hunger there and I can see that, I think he’s an
excellent professional who has served the game well and we are
excited about that.”

Kilmarnock were fortunate to claim a share of the spoils against
the Dons. Rory Fallon’s brilliant volley gave Aberdeen the lead
they deserved before Paul Heffernan got Kilmarnock back on terms
five minutes before half-time.

Aberdeen passed up a number of good chances to grab a vital
second goal and were denied a penalty with 15 minutes remaining
when Kilmarnock goalkeeper Cammy Bell appeared to foul Niall McGinn
in the penalty area.

Shiels would not be drawn on the controversial decision, saying:
“I’m trying very hard to discipline myself not to speak about

“I’m not allowed to speak about referees and I’m not allowed to
speak about other teams because they’ll fall out with me.”

Aberdeen striker McGinn was baffled after receiving a yellow
card for diving in the incident.

“In my own eyes and in the eyes of a few of the Kilmarnock
players too it was a stonewall penalty – I think the referee was
the only person inside the ground that didn’t think it was a
penalty,” said McGinn.

“I was chasing the goalkeeper down and he took a bad touch, I
thought I was going to raid him then he brought me down.

“You just have to get on with things, being a professional
footballer you just have to get on with things.”

The Dons now face a crucial encounter against Ross County on
Tuesday evening and the Northern Ireland international believes
they can take confidence from their display at Rugby Park.

“We played well against Kilmarnock and we have to take that into
our game against Ross County,” he said.

“Hopefully on Tuesday we can take our chances.”