Saints to face Saints, Accies win

Jack Wilshere felt Arsenal answered some of their critics with a
5-2 demolition of Reading at the Madejski stadium.

Arsene Wenger and his team had come under intense scrutiny
following their ignominious Capital One defeat at Bradford last
week, but they re-discovered some of their free-flowing spirit in a
morale-boosting performance.

“It was tough last week after the disappointing result at
Bradford. We had to be strong as they are a tough team who are
fighting relegation,” said Wilshere.

“Theo Walcott and Santi Cazorla were different class.

“Any sort of victory tonight would have been welcomed. The boss
put three up front and it worked.

“The club is very strong. The way we played, I think we saw some
of the old Arsenal tonight. We needed to bounce back and we must
push on now. We have got a difficult game at Wigan coming up

Walcott played through the middle and was rewarded for an
enterprising display with a goal, although that was overshadowed by
a sublime hat-trick from the peerless Cazorla.

Walcott said: “We don’t really take notice of the outside. We’re
a big family and we know our quality and that we’re good

“I enjoyed playing up front and the boss gave me that
opportunity. I thought I did very well and the players around me
always make my job easier.”

As to his protracted contract talks, Walcott added: “Talks are
ongoing and it’s going to be a slow process. It’s taking a long
time but hopefully something will happen soon.”

Wilshere is especially eager to hasten the process, and joked:
“I’ve been working all year on him.

“But that’s between Theo, his representatives and the boss but
hopefully we can sign him up.

“He showed he can do it up front and hopefully he can play there
in the future.”

The First Division side held Steve Lomas’ men at bay for 45
minutes but the Perth outfit slowly eroded their hosts’ resolve
after the break.

David McCracken stole in to open the scoring in the 54th minute
and the Blue Brazil soon contrived to offer the SPL side a second

Steven MacLean obliged from the penalty spot when Thomas Flynn
fouled Murray Davidson in the 76th minute, before Gregory Tade
ensured the Saints’ safe passage to Paisley with a close-range
finish three minutes from time.

Hamilton will play Dunfermline in the last 16 after overcoming
fellow First Division outfit Dumbarton 3-1 at the Bet Butler

Alister Crawford put the visitors ahead with a stunning effort
in the 24th minute, before Michael Devlin doubled Hamilton’s
advantage four minutes before the break.

Dumbarton’s players rallied after the interval, though, setting
up Chris Turner to head home from close range in the 57th minute,
but Accies substitute Grant Gillespie struck from deep inside the
penalty area with 75 minutes on the clock.

The Sons’ chances of success suffered a further setback when
Turner saw red three minutes later and Hamilton progressed to the
next round.

Peter Weatherson scored a hat-trick as Morton earned a trip to
Dundee with a resounding 6-0 win over Highland Football League
hopefuls Turriff United.

It took 37 minutes for Morton to open the scoring through
Weatherson but the First Division outfit would not look back.

Michael Tidser registered his first goal from the penalty spot
in first-half stoppage time following Ross Anderson’s foul, adding
a second from long range in the 63rd minute.

Morton were out of sight when substitute Peter MacDonald found
the back of the net in the 77th minute, Weatherson quickly laying
claim to the matchball with two goals in the last 10 minutes.