Redknapp confirmed as QPR boss

Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini is urging his team-mates to
carry the momentum from a memorable victory over Chelsea into
Sunday night’s trip to the San Siro.

The Bianconeri are on the verge of clinching a place in the last
16 of the Champions League after cruising to a 3-0 win over
European champions Chelsea this week.

The game took a lot out of Juve vice captain Chiellini, though,
and the 28-year-old is facing a race against time to be fit to face
struggling AC Milan.

He told Gazzetta.it: “The match against the English was the most
important game of the season so far.

“We knew we could not afford to go wrong and we played a great
game.

“The downside of a win like that is that you can only enjoy it
for one night, because then you have to start thinking about the
next game, especially when that game is against AC Milan.

“We have to use the experience of the Chelsea game in the right
way because it would be a serious mistake to relax now. That’s
something you can never afford to do against Milan.

“It will be an extremely intense game, between two highly
motivated sides that want to win. I’m struggling a bit but it’s
only fatigue. Without taking too many risks, I will do everything I
can to be there.”

The Italy international has identified the Azzurri’s latest
star, Stephan El Shaarawy, as the man he will be marking should he
play tomorrow night.

El Shaarawy notched his 10th goal in all competitions against
Anderlecht this week, with Chiellini noting: “He is the revelation
of the season.

“We could all see his potential last year, though. Now he is
scoring a lot of goals and becoming a key player for Milan. In
addition to his technical quality he has the right attitude and he
wants to show what he can do.”

Juventus deposed the Rossoneri as Serie A champions in 2011, and
Milan’s star has certainly fallen a long way since they secured 3-0
wins both at home and away in the 2009-10 season.

Fast forward two years and Juve top the table with 32 points, 17
more than Milan, who are languishing in 12th place.

Brazilian striker Alexandre Pato, who has revealed his
dissatisfaction over his current part-time role at the San Siro,
will sit out tomorrow’s clash with a muscle problem.

The former Tottenham boss has replaced the sacked Mark Hughes,
with Rangers currently sitting at the bottom of the Premier League
table.

Redknapp, who will be in the stands as Rangers take on
Manchester United at Old Trafford on Saturday afternoon, told the
club’s official website: “I’m delighted to be back in the
managerial hot-seat at QPR.

“When I spoke to the shareholders and they told me about their
plans I knew this was too good an opportunity to turn down.

“There’s no doubt there’s a lot of ability in the squad, but for
one reason or another things haven’t gone as well as everyone
expected since the start of the season.

“I can’t wait to get to work and get the results necessary to
kick-start our season.”

Redknapp, who left Tottenham at the end of last season, takes
over a side four points adrift at the foot of the table and without
a win from their first 12 league games.

QPR chairman Tony Fernandes said: “Harry was our number one
target, the unanimous choice of the board and we’re delighted we’ve
been able to attract him to the club.

“He has a proven track record in the Premier League and has all
the characteristics we were looking for to get us out of the
current situation we find ourselves in.

“His man-management skills are second to none and we are
confident he is the right man to lead us away from the bottom of
the table.”

A announcement regarding Redknapp’s backroom team will be made
in due course.

Redknapp has long been considered the man in waiting for any
Premier League vacancies that arose, with many considering him
unlucky to leave Tottenham considering he took them to a
fourth-placed finish last season.

Since then he has made no secret of his desire to return to
management and was only this week thinking over an offer to coach
Ukraine.

He also spent time with first managerial club Bournemouth on a
consultancy basis, but is now back on the big stage and will be in
the dugout for the first time against Sunderland on Tuesday, before
meetings with Aston Villa, Wigan and Fulham.

The 65-year-old started out with Bournemouth in 1983, before
moving to West Ham in 1992 as an assistant, later taking the top
job himself. After that he got Portsmouth promoted to the Premier
League and, after a brief spell with Southampton, returned to
Fratton Park and won the FA Cup in 2008.

He headed to Tottenham and guided them to what proved to be a
thrilling Champions League campaign, while for a time he was the
favourite to succeed Fabio Capello in the England job, only to lose
out to Roy Hodgson.