Recovering Stu Holden set for first match since July
FEB 28, 2014 1:55p ET
American midfielder Stuart Holden is set to play his first match since being sidelined by another major knee injury last year.
Bolton manager Dougie Freedman said Holden will play Monday for the English team's under-21s against Everton.
''In training I'm seeing a player who is ready to go, but right now he needs game time,'' Freedman said Friday on Bolton's website. ''There's a slight change in his running movements, and he's looking fit and well, and it is great to have him back amongst the group.''
Holden tore his right anterior cruciate ligament during the United States' 1-0 victory over Panama in the CONCACAF Gold Cup final on July 28.
Holden has had a series of injuries during the last four years. He broke his right leg on a tackle by the Netherlands' Nigel de Jong during an exhibition game in March 2010 but returned to make the U.S. World Cup team, where he appeared as a late substitute in the Americans' opener against England.
He injured his left knee against Manchester United during a tackle by Jonny Evans in March 2011, returned from surgery for a League Cup match against Aston Villa that September, then needed more surgery eight days later.
Holden came back again in January 2013 to make three substitute appearances for Bolton, four starts during a one-month loan to Sheffield Wednesday and another short substitute stint for Bolton.
He rejoined the national team as a substitute in an exhibition against Belgium on May 29, then played extensively in the Gold Cup before getting hurt again.