QPR signs Cisse on long-term contract

Queens Park Rangers’ double swoop for England international Bobby Zamora and fellow frontman Djibril Cisse highlighted a flurry of activity as the January transfer deadline came to a close Tuesday.

Zamora joined QPR from Fulham on a two and a half year deal believed to be worth £4.5 million (US$7 million), Sky Sports reported, and will be reunited with manager Mark Hughes, having worked together at Craven Cottage.

"I thoroughly enjoyed working with Mark Hughes at Fulham and enjoyed his style of play. For myself, it’s the right time to move," said Zamora.

The striker is set to join forces with Frenchman Cisse, who arrived at Loftus Road from Italian side Lazio on a two and a half year deal for £4 million, according to The (London) Daily Telegraph.

"QPR have a hugely ambitious project," said the 30-year-old Cisse. "When I talked to the manager, he spoke highly of the club and where he wants to take it over the next few years.

"He wants to achieve big things here and that was all I needed to hear from him. I have unfinished business here in England. The English league is the best in the world."

In a late deal, South African midfielder Steven Pienaar returned to Everton on loan from Tottenham until the end of the season.

Pienaar arrived at Spurs from Goodison Park last January but failed to win a regular place in Harry Redknapp’s first-team.

He made just two Premier League appearances for the North Londoners this season, both of which came off the bench.

The Toffees confirmed the deal on Tuesday night, shortly after striker Louis Saha moved in the opposite direction.

Pienaar previously spent three and a half seasons at Everton after joining from Borussia Dortmund in 2007, racking up over 100 appearances during his first stint on Merseyside, establishing himself as a fan favorite.

The signing capped a busy transfer window for Everton manager David Moyes, who also captured Rangers striker Nikica Jelavic. His other January acquisitions were Manchester United’s Darron Gibson, who scored the winner that downed Premier League leaders Manchester City on Tuesday night, and USA captain Landon Donovan on loan.

Meanwhile, Carlos Tevez, whose future has been the subject of constant speculation in recent weeks, was still a Manchester City player when the transfer window slammed shut.

Transfer talk has surrounded the Argentinian striker since his fall out at City, with a host of clubs thought to be chasing him.

However, his adviser informed Sky Sports on Tuesday that he would not be going anywhere in January and that was confirmed when the window closed and a deal had not materialized.