Tony Pulis says he is still looking to bring in four or five new players at Stoke this summer but admits it’s been difficult to get deals done.
The Potters chief said he wanted to bring in two strikers to boost the club’s chances of finishing higher up the league, but that he had been frustrated so far.
However, he expects business to be done before the window closes on August 31.
Pulis said: "We’re desperately looking for a couple of strikers but we’ve got four or five players that we’ve been working very hard on all summer
"But as a close season it’s the probably quietest and the most difficult I’ve known for trying to get deals done.
"Everybody’s waiting for deals to happen and then you’ll get that snowball effect and get the market moving.
"With the introduction of the 25-man squad rule, I think a lot of people are hanging on to see what squads are announced and then cherry-picking the players who haven’t got in that 25."
Pulis didn’t speak about reports linking him with West Ham striker Carlton Cole, but did say the club have been in talks with Nice forward Loic Remy.
Stoke are reportedly willing to pay around £12million for the 23-year-old France international, but Pulis says the club face stiff competition to land his signature.
"We went over to France to watch him play," Pulis said.
"He’s a very, very good player, a very talented young player who’s just got selected for the French squad as well but whether we do the deal is another thing.
"It’s not just Stoke that are interested in him, I think there’s three or four other clubs that are interested in him and the deal will obviously be one of the major factors.
"They know they’ve got a top player on their hands and they’re not going to let him go cheap.
"I actually went out with Dave Kemp and spoke to the kid. His English was fantastic and he’s a lovely kid.
"We spoke to him and he wanted to come over and look at the football club, which we’ve done, but that’s as far as it’s gone.
"There’s a lot more stuff to take place before we sign him and I know there’s other clubs interested as well."
Pulis also confirmed that several players will be leaving the Britannia Stadium before the transfer window closes.
Blackburn have been linked with Tuncay, although Pulis insists the Turkish forward has looked sharp in pre-season, while James Beattie and Dave Kitson could also be shown the exit door.
Pulis said: "There are players that will leave the football club without a question of a doubt, we know that’s going to happen.
"Tuncay’s had a great pre-season, but they’ll mention Beattie and Kitson and people like that.
"The essence of a deal is you’ve got to have two parties involved in it and both parties have got to agree to the deal. Then you bring the agent and the player into it as well, so it’s not as simple as people think.
"But on a positive note there is money there for us to spend, it’s just making sure we get the right players in to take us that step further."