Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton has spent Thursday afternoon at QPR’s training ground undergoing the second part of his medical.
Article continues below ...
The 28-year-old travelled to London on Wednesday and underwent initial tests as the promoted club attempted to persuade him to head for the capital.
Barton has indicated that he is edging towards agreeing to join Rangers with no new contract offer from the Magpies on the table.
However, he had previously suggested that he would see out the final year of his existing deal on Tyneside and has started the club’s two Premier League games to date this season.
Talks on a new contract at St James’ Park stalled in January and the offer with which he was presented then has since been withdrawn.
But relations between the two parties have soured further since with the player receiving a fine of two weeks’ wages after criticising the club’s transfer policy via his Twitter account.
QPR manager Neil Warnock has rejected the notion that Barton’s arrival is a "done deal" but would like to complete the signing on Thursday afternoon.
While the deal seems to be progressing nicely, Warnock refuted talk that anything has been completed.
"I don’t think you can say that about any deal really until people sign," he said.
"I am not getting my hopes up one way or another. We’ve made him a very good offer and I think Joey appreciates that.
"Although I hope Joey doesn’t think we’re going to pay him what some of the papers said we were going to pay him this morning.
"I think you always want to get them completed as soon as possible.
"I would like to bring in a couple before the weekend and that is what I am going to try to do."
Barton was giving little away when interviewed by Sky Sports News at the training ground.
He said: "The latest is that we are just completing the final stages of the medical, so we will just get that over and done with and then see where we are at.
"I have not made a final decision just yet, but speaking to the club, they have got big ambitions and I had to come down and hear what they have got to say and go through the formalities of the medical side of it just in case any deal does happen."
Asked if he was optimistic, Barton replied: "I am not sure. There are still a number of things to be sorted out, but it’s a process you have to take step by step, and that’s the stage we are at at the minute."
New QPR chief executive Philip Beard is hopeful the Barton deal – and a number of others – will go through before next Wednesday’s transfer deadline.
"I’m expecting a few deals to go through in the next few days," he told Sky Sports News.
"I think it will take us until close to the end [of the transfer window] to make sure we’ve got the deals in place to strengthen the squad and hopefully give us a really good chance of stability in the best league in the world.
"I think what we need is to strengthen in certain areas – it’s not about how many, but the quality of players.
"It’s going to be an interesting season, an exciting season.
"We need to be realistic but I think if we get the deals done we hope to do, not only will QPR fans be happy but the owners will be happy and Mr Warnock will hopefully be happy too."
He continued: "We’re making a lot of progress in different areas.
"We intend to make some decisions over the next few days
which we hope demonstrate our commitment – not just off the pitch with prices and things like that – but also on the pitch.
"If I look at the squad next Thursday morning I hope it will look slightly different than it does today."