Samir Nasri has threatened to quit international football after being overlooked for a second successive World Cup by France.
The Manchester City playmaker was controversially left out of coach Didier Deschamps’ 23-man squad for this summer’s tournament in Brazil, and was not even among the seven potential replacements.
The 26-year-old had been expecting the snub but claims it is still difficult to take, coming after a superb season in which he helped City win the Barclays Premier League and Capital One Cup.
Deschamps has said Nasri is not a certain starter in his side and does not want a player who "has made it clear that he is not happy when he is a substitute."
Nasri, who was also left out for the 2010 World Cup by Raymond Domenech, told Sky Sports News: "It’s a little bit hard to accept. I need to take some time now to think about the national team because it’s been twice now that they take away a World Cup from me.
"You can go around and ask any player if they’re happy to be on the bench, nobody’s going to say yes. I need to think a little bit during the holiday, what will be my future in the national team, because missing two World Cups is really hard for a player."
Nasri is currently with the City squad on their post-season tour of Abu Dhabi. With no international commitments, he may well now play in Thursday’s friendly against Al Ain.
Manager Manuel Pellegrini had previously said that players involved in the World Cup would not feature.
The trip has caused some consternation, with England manager Roy Hodgson expressing reservations about its timing.
Asked about the issue again, Pellegrini said: "All of the players who are going to the World Cup – we’ll see if they play. It is a risk. I will ask all of them if they want to but it will be difficult for them to play."
One player who could feature for what would be a final time for the club is Joleon Lescott.
The defender, signed for Â£22million from Everton five years ago, is out of contract this summer and has long accepted he would be leaving at the end of their 2013-14 commitments.
Lescott has tweeted goodbye messages since City completed their title success on Sunday and chief executive Ferran Soriano has now formally confirmed his departure.
Soriano told Abu Dhabi Sports Channel: "Joleon Lescott is finishing his contract and leaving us. He has been a key player for us in these years."
Soriano added that City are likely to make more signings this summer but changes to the title-winning squad would be minor.
He said: "We have some new players coming but the base of our team is the same. This is a team that is winning. We have only worked with Manuel for a year, we are sure next year will be even better. Winning is a great character-builder. I think you will see some changes in the team but not massive."