McDonald named in Clarets squad

Reports have suggested McDonald – who was fined for leaving Turf
Moor without permission at half-time during last weekend’s 6-1
defeat to Manchester City – headed to a nearby pub after departing
the stadium. The 21-year-old issued an apology on Tuesday for his
“naive” and “disrespectful” behaviour, while his manager today
admitted McDonald “was an idiot for doing it”. But Laws insists he
has now drawn a line under the matter and will consider the
Scotland Under-21 international for this weekend’s crucial
relegation six-pointer at the KC Stadium. “He’s made an error, he
has held his hand up, he has taken the punishment and he’s
apologised,” Laws said. “What more can you ask? It was a judgement
call he made and it was the wrong one. “We’ll draw a line under it
and move on. He’ll certainly be within the squad, so there’s no
further punishment.” He added: “He feels a bit of an idiot and he
was an idiot for doing it, but we have to draw a line under it and
not further punish him. “He’s a nice kid, he’s just had a bad day
at the office and he took the wrong decision.” There have been
rumours of unrest in the Burnley camp, with Laws reported to have
had disagreements with Clarke Carlisle and Robbie Blake – who is
also thought to have reacted badly to being substituted at
half-time against City – but the manager denied there had been any
bust-ups. “I can’t influence what’s going on on the outside,” Laws
said. “If people are putting rumours around like that, there is
nothing I can do about it, other than to say that there has been no
bust-up whatsoever. “Obviously we have had a problem with McDonald,
but there was nothing to do with Robbie at all. “Robbie and I get
on really well, there is no question about that, so end of story.”