McCarthy to miss Nations Cup

Martinez revealed the Latics had sent the relevant medical reports
to the Irish camp, a day after Giovanni Trapattoni said one player,
believed to be McCarthy, had not returned his calls ahead of
Tuesday night’s clash with Northern Ireland and Sunday’s meeting
with Scotland. But Martinez insists there is no suggestion of
McCarthy having gone AWOL, and that he needs a month-long rest
after suffering the injury against Stoke at the weekend. “He had a
challenge in the game against Stoke with Jermaine Pennant, we had a
scan and the scan revealed grade one ligament damage in his right
ankle,” the Spaniard said on Tuesday afternoon. “We passed the
report to the Republic of Ireland medical team and they are well,
well aware. That is where James had an operation earlier this
season and it is an area that is a bit of a concern. “We have to
work together to try and get him a speedy recovery but he is not
available to play and he will need at least three or four weeks to
recover.” Scotland-born McCarthy’s relationship with Trapattoni has
long been a fractious one, with the former Hamilton man withdrawing
from the squad to face his native country in February, fuelling
speculation he would rather play for them. However, the 20-year-old
committed his future to Ireland by turning out against Macedonia in
a European Championship qualifier in March. His withdrawal comes a
day after Celtic striker Anthony Stokes angered Trapattoni by
pulling out of the squad owing to tiredness. “He is a good player
but you must also have will, desire,” the Italian said of Stokes.
“Injuries are injuries, but they should visit our doctor. That is
the rule. If they are asked by the national team they must go. “If
they are in hospital or they are dead, that is OK, but if there is
an injury they should see our doctor.”